none
EW4 crawls, massive RAM usage. RRS feed

• General discussion

• After installing EW4 on my Core i7 930, 6GB Ram, blazing SSD hard drive.... it's completely unusable. The RAM EW4 uses just keeps rising upon opening a site (on shared network drive, Gigabit ethernet). When I try and open a file the whole thing comes to a hault and gets all flickery and runs in slow motion (as the RAM keeps climbing and climbing). After first launching the software and opening a site the RAM it consumes goes right up to 650MB.

I've tried everything and nothing makes this problem go away. It's 100% unusable on my BLAZING FAST machine. EW2, CS4, you name it....very very fast. EW4 basically is dead in the water here.

I'm running Vista64, .NET 4.0, MS Security Essentials, no other virus software....a very lean and great running system otherwise. Any ideas to get EW4 running right?

Monday, July 5, 2010 12:30 AM

All replies

• Does it happen on a site on your local PC?

Works fine for me, but I'm not working on a shared drive.

Monday, July 5, 2010 1:10 AM
  • What video card are you using?
    Monday, July 5, 2010 1:13 AM
  • Update your video and mouse drivers.
    I have a gigabyte machine, intel core 2 duo, 2 gb of RAM, NVidia GForce 7300Gt display adapter and EW 4 runs just fine on it.
    As do EW 3, 2 and 1, Fontpage 2003 and SharePoint designer 2007.

And Visual Studio and a bunch of other stuff.

;-)

Expression Web MVP
    Monday, July 5, 2010 2:09 AM
  • Win 64 . Windows 7. Around 85 Mb footprint. no go slow here.
    Quad core. 8 Gb ram.

I also see no memory leakage.
    Just to give you a 64bit "For Example" example.

I came, I saw, I coded
    Monday, July 5, 2010 12:47 PM
  • SL9500 dual core processor, Win 7 64 Ultimate, 4 gb ram, no go slow issues here either.
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Monday, July 5, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Other versions of Expression Web run fine, just not this one.... I've tried updating video drivers, disabling services, stopping anything from running except EW, still extremely slow and obviously conflicting with something on my system. It just sits on idle eating up more and more RAM until it dies. Even with opening local files on the HD does this happen (for me).

I guess it hardly matters, none of the major usibility issues that appeared in EW3+ have been fixed anyway. EW2 is so much better where it counts - speed, logical usability, interface layout, color scheme, etc. I'll write another post once again detailing how to make the software better and compete with Dreamweaver. EW2 was awesome and many reviewers gave it a thumbs up and said it was on the same level as Dreamwever.... but you don't hear that anymore since EW3. I've been developing web sites for 15 years and the fixes needed for EW are so obvious and probably easy to do, but getting feedback in front of the right people at MS is impossible. I'd like to know what web developers are on the EW usibility team.

Monday, July 5, 2010 11:07 PM
  • " I'll write another post once again detailing how to make the software better and compete with Dreamweaver. "

Er, why?  We don't develop EW.  This is a user forum.  Microsoft has the Connect site for product feedback.

Monday, July 5, 2010 11:47 PM
  • but getting feedback in front of the right people at MS is impossible.

Impossible?  Far from it.  Use Connect and the submissions go straight to the EW team.

http://connect.microsoft.com/Expression

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Monday, July 5, 2010 11:52 PM
  • Eric,

Personally I prefer EW 4 to EW 3 though I'll admit I would prefer more color options. I created my first website in 1993 and at one time ran a web technologies user group and did presentations/reviews of every major and many minor web editors out there for both Windows and Macs.

In addition I have also been at times a Dreamweaver Community Expert and still run an online Dreamweaver group of over 5,700 members. I own and use both Dreamweaver CS 5 & Expression Web. The user interface changes outside of the color scheme to me are logical improvements so that all of the site features are on the site menu instead of split into file & site menu. At least MS has bowed to the complaints and allow you to use your windows color scheme instead of the black though I've found that a well calibrated monitor does make a big difference with the black interface.

With the new extensibility features EW 4 is considerably better than the earlier versions because the earlier versions were limited to the same sort of com add-ins that FrontPage offered. Now the extensibility model is much simpler and more like that of Dreamweaver so there has already been more new add-ins for v4 than there were for the earlier versions of Expression Web combined.

If you want to put your feedback in front of the MS team you do so by going to http://connect.microsoft.com and joining the Expression Studio feedback group.

MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com
    Monday, July 5, 2010 11:57 PM
  • Other versions of Expression Web run fine, just not this one.... I've tried updating video drivers, disabling services, stopping anything from running except EW, still extremely slow and obviously conflicting with something on my system. It just sits on idle eating up more and more RAM until it dies. Even with opening local files on the HD does this happen (for me).

Best guess, without having access to your machine, is that you have a problem with either your Expression Web 4 installation or your .NET 4 installation, more likely the latter.  Uninstalling both and reinstalling might solve the problem.  We have not seen this, so I can't offer any specific advice yet, I'm afraid.

but getting feedback in front of the right people at MS is impossible.

Really?

Paul Bartholomew, Microsoft Expression Web
    Monday, July 5, 2010 11:59 PM