none
How can I modify the BAM activity without losing data? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have implemented BAM on a BT application.

Input Schema.

ID FirstName LastName

I have created an Activity and view. I am showing only FirstName and LastName on the BAM portal. It is working fine.

Now I have to show ID field on the BAM portal. So, I must modify the activity and view. I have searched on Google and found solution that I need to run update command.

I have added ID field in the activity and view. I have also run update command. But, I am unable to update or bind ID filed in the tracking profile editor.

How can I modify the BAM activity without losing data?

Please suggest.

Thanks, Mohit Dahiya

Saturday, October 8, 2016 5:10 AM

Answers

• Well just to make sure that the ID is updated in the database,

I would also suggest you check if you have a column created for it in the tables,

refer  sample as below.

Check for your activity and find  if it is updated.

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:11 AM
  • HI MOhit,

No you cannot remove a filed from activity...you have to remove the activoty first then you can deploy the activity after removing the field...but note that it is going to esult in the data losss.

AS per MSDN

Updates certain artifacts from the BAM definition XML. The file can be a text file containing the BAM definition XML or a BAM Excel workbook. The update does not delete artifacts that are not described in the current definition file. It can add new checkpoints to activities, but cannot drop checkpoints from deployed activities. The update can neither rename checkpoints nor change checkpoint properties.

Once an activity has been deployed, the actions you can take on an activity become restricted. Specifically, you cannot delete items from an activity unless you are prepared to have your administrator undeploy the entire BAM activity and view sets and then redeploy them. This can cause an interruption of visibility and loss of data unless the administrator does a backup and restore of the data.

Refer Deployment of BAM Definition (Observation Model) Commands

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Saturday, October 8, 2016 11:49 AM

All replies

• have also run update command. But, I am unable to update or bind ID filed in the tracking profile editor.

Do you see the id field in the TPE???

ALso did you receive any error message while updating the activities?? and have you used bm.exe  update all command??

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:02 AM
  • Yes, I have used bm.exe update command.

I am not able to see ID field in the TPE.

Thanks, Mohit Dahiya

Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:06 AM
  • Well just to make sure that the ID is updated in the database,

I would also suggest you check if you have a column created for it in the tables,

refer  sample as below.

Check for your activity and find  if it is updated.

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Thank you Mandar for the quick response. 

No, ID column is not added.

Can you share with me steps which I need to follow?

I will create new application. 

Thanks, Mohit Dahiya

Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:21 AM
  • HI That is the issue, your activity has not been updated in the database.

Try to update it once again and share if you get any errors

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:23 AM
  • Updated again. 

Still, not able to add ID column in the table.

Thanks, Mohit Dahiya

Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:31 AM
  • Can you please share the activity xml ??

Regards

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Saturday, October 8, 2016 7:32 AM
  • Mandar, I have restarted my laptop and tried again. I was able to add ID in the table. :)

Now, I can see ID on the BAM portal. 

Steps for modifying activity :

1. Delete View.

2. Add new ID in the activity.

3. create a new view with different name.

3. Run update command.

4. Bind the IP field in the TPE.

5. Able to see new ID column on BAM portal.

Above, I was able to add new field in the activity. 

After this, I thought, I should try to remove 2 fields from the activity and run update command. But, I am getting error. 

Can I remove field from the activity?

Thanks, Mohit Dahiya

Saturday, October 8, 2016 9:00 AM
  • HI MOhit,

No you cannot remove a filed from activity...you have to remove the activoty first then you can deploy the activity after removing the field...but note that it is going to esult in the data losss.

AS per MSDN

Updates certain artifacts from the BAM definition XML. The file can be a text file containing the BAM definition XML or a BAM Excel workbook. The update does not delete artifacts that are not described in the current definition file. It can add new checkpoints to activities, but cannot drop checkpoints from deployed activities. The update can neither rename checkpoints nor change checkpoint properties.

Once an activity has been deployed, the actions you can take on an activity become restricted. Specifically, you cannot delete items from an activity unless you are prepared to have your administrator undeploy the entire BAM activity and view sets and then redeploy them. This can cause an interruption of visibility and loss of data unless the administrator does a backup and restore of the data.

Refer Deployment of BAM Definition (Observation Model) Commands

Regards,

Mandar Dharmadhikari

Saturday, October 8, 2016 11:49 AM
  • Thank you Mandar.

Thanks, Mohit Dahiya

Saturday, October 8, 2016 2:50 PM