none
Mail merge from Access - rich text? RRS feed

• Question

• Using Access2007 and Word2007.

I have a Word mailmerge document that works just fine, except:

The Access table it connects to through an Access query was recently changed. One of the merge fields (a memo field in the Access database) changed format from plain text to rich text. In the database application, this is just fine - records that have rich text embellishments in the field look as you would expect them to, records with no embellishments look like plain text.

In the mailmerge document, though, none of the records look right. They all have HTML tags scattered throughout the contents of the field. I tried recreating the query in Access, and re-linking through the ODBC connector, to see if the links were somehow "stale" but it makes no difference.

Is there a way to resolve this problem?

Thanks!

Monday, July 25, 2011 5:02 PM

Answers

• No, there's no way to resolve this problem directly. Word's mail merge technology is some twenty years old and doesn't "know" anything about bringing across formatting, only data. It can't do anything with "formatting tags" that come across in HTML or RTF data.

You might need to resort to either duplicating the information in the RTF memo field to a plain text memo field to be used in the merge. Or a Make Table query that's run before the merge to right the data into a table format that Word can deal with.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by JBSmo Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:37 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:06 AM

All replies

• No, there's no way to resolve this problem directly. Word's mail merge technology is some twenty years old and doesn't "know" anything about bringing across formatting, only data. It can't do anything with "formatting tags" that come across in HTML or RTF data.

You might need to resort to either duplicating the information in the RTF memo field to a plain text memo field to be used in the merge. Or a Make Table query that's run before the merge to right the data into a table format that Word can deal with.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by JBSmo Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:37 PM
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 7:06 AM
  • Thanks. I figured that this was probably the case, but thought just in case I missed something obvious I'd ask...
    Tuesday, July 26, 2011 2:38 PM