Pinning metro to a screen

Question

• Is it possible to pin metro to a display when you have multiple displays attached?

Thursday, November 24, 2011 3:15 PM

Answers

• how exactly do you snap metro to an external monitor?

As I said using Snap depends on the screen ratio.  I can only do it on my widescreen monitor (1.77).   And of course you have to have at least two metro apps running, one to be the main one and the other one to be snapped.   Then you just stick your pointer on the left to dig out a thumbnail, drag the thumbnail to expand it, keep dragging until the snap divider shows, then drop.   On a smaller ratio monitor, e.g. my Tablet's 1.6, instead of seeing the snap divider, I see a border around the first app, as if it is getting ready to disappear, so then when I drop the expanded thumbnail, it does disappear and there is no Snap.

BTW thanks for pointing out that other thread.   ; )

FYI

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:00 PM

All replies

• I haven't tried to pin to multiple monitors. However, if you are asking if you can pin to a particular monitor when you have multiple monitors, I would say the answer is no. I will have to test this issue.

Thanks,
    Marilyn
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 6:00 PM
  • Is it possible to pin metro to a display when you have multiple displays attached?

Yes.  But apparently only one monitor can have the Start Screen button at a time, so what you need to do to switch is click on the empty Start Screen button where you want the Start Screen button to be moved.   Then your metro apps will display on that monitor.   BTW doing this made me notice how the Snap feature works.   It looks like that feature only works on wide screens (e.g. 1.77 ratio); otherwise it looks like when it is tried on squarer monitors (e.g. my Tablet's 1.6), a border for the app shows and then it gives up.   YMMV.

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:42 PM
  • I hope this gets considered as a feature as I'd love to have metro pinned to one screen whilst working another.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:44 PM
  • I suggest you send Feedback and we want to make sure we get the right info including your log files.

Can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview. There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here.

Thanks,

Marilyn
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 10:48 PM
  • Yes that's true - what I meant was to be able to fix metro on a specified display. The trouble is after doing what you suggest then clicking on the other display, metro disappears.
    Thursday, November 24, 2011 11:13 PM
  • Yes that's true - what I meant was to be able to fix metro on a specified display. The trouble is after doing what you suggest then clicking on the other display, metro disappears.

Must be a specific example then.   As I mentioned it works for me, including in particular the Snap feature.   Have you tried that yet?  

Are you sure that you have your Display in Extended mode?   E.g. press Win-P, Extend.   You would certainly have your symptom if that was Duplicate, for example.

So, for my specific example, I am now typing in a Fullscreen IE Desktop window.   My Tablet has the Start Screen button but is currently showing ProcMon.   I have  Notespace running which I can switch to there...  and bring it over to the other monitor (by clicking the Start screen button and peeking its thumbnail out of the side of the monitor).   All of the IE tabs and windows are on that monitor so to use them on my Tablet I would have to throw them over (e.g. Win-Shift-CursorRight).   I'd rather not do that for this demonstration so let me just start a cmd window over there instead...   Oops.   Apparently the last time I used it was on the big monitor so that was a bad guess but I'm willing to throw it over...   And now I will bring back the Notespace.   Oh, Neat!  On the bigger monitor I could if I wanted run Notespace snapped (and very thin. <w>)  Or I can drag it wider or fullscreen (that would be overkill) and then do a dir in my cmd window--all while leaving Notespace showing.   QED (running a Metro app on another monitor while doing Desktop stuff on the Tablet (where I usually run Metro because that's where Touch is.)

FYI

Robert
    ---

Friday, November 25, 2011 1:47 AM
  • I'll give that a go. I did come across a site that allowed you to snap metro apps to your display but that required a registry setting to be applied.

How is your tablet connected to the monitor? Do you have an HDMI out?

Saturday, November 26, 2011 1:54 PM
  • How is your tablet connected to the monitor? Do you have an HDMI out?

No, unfortunately.   The monitor is attached only via the Tablet's VGA projector port.   My Tablet is my only processor.

Robert
    ---

Saturday, November 26, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Robert,

I'm a bit confused; how exactly do you snap metro to an external monitor?

My external monitor is in extend mode. Is notespace one of the preview metro apps?

Lastly, what does QED mean?!

Thanks

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:26 AM
  • Hi Marilyn,

Have you had a chance to test this?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 12:27 AM
  • Actually I've just found this has been requested elsewhere:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsdeveloperpreviewgeneral/thread/976b2bf2-5c16-4ee7-a3a0-f071665a66f0

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 7:45 PM
  • how exactly do you snap metro to an external monitor?

As I said using Snap depends on the screen ratio.  I can only do it on my widescreen monitor (1.77).   And of course you have to have at least two metro apps running, one to be the main one and the other one to be snapped.   Then you just stick your pointer on the left to dig out a thumbnail, drag the thumbnail to expand it, keep dragging until the snap divider shows, then drop.   On a smaller ratio monitor, e.g. my Tablet's 1.6, instead of seeing the snap divider, I see a border around the first app, as if it is getting ready to disappear, so then when I drop the expanded thumbnail, it does disappear and there is no Snap.

BTW thanks for pointing out that other thread.   ; )

FYI

Robert
    ---

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:00 PM