Metro style apps with desktop components

Question

• Can a Metro style app require a desktop component (e.g., a service) and still be accepted by the store if the component doesn't use any forbidden APIs?
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:13 AM

Answers

• I believe it would be hard to pass all kinds of security tests and content compliance checks if non-WinRT code is included. A service runs as local system.

You can probably launch a url from your app that opens the default browser and shows your service process's download page. But the only listed inter-process communication method in Windows 8 DP is RPC NDR. You probably want to use other more well-known networking APIs like WWSAPI or socket.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:59 PM

All replies

• Hey Cdunford,

What language are you using to develop your Metro style application?

Once we know what language you are using we can move this thread into the forum that is specific to the language being used so that the developer audience can assist you.

If I've misunderstood your question, please provide further details if your next reply.

Steven
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:52 PM
  • I think his question is language independent as you have stated that all are using the same set of APIs. He is asking, whether the metro app is allowed to use non-metro (aka non-WinRT) component/service and still get certified by Windows Store.
    • Edited by MCCZ Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:54 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 5:27 PM
  • It happens to be C++, but as MCCZ correctly notes, this is a language independent question.

Suppose we need a Windows service to operate correctly. Services run at startup and are, I assume, considered to be desktop rather than Metro. If we write a service component using nothing but WinRT APIs, can we include it with our package and still have it accepted by the store?

Friday, September 23, 2011 5:50 PM
  • I believe it would be hard to pass all kinds of security tests and content compliance checks if non-WinRT code is included. A service runs as local system.

You can probably launch a url from your app that opens the default browser and shows your service process's download page. But the only listed inter-process communication method in Windows 8 DP is RPC NDR. You probably want to use other more well-known networking APIs like WWSAPI or socket.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Friday, September 23, 2011 5:59 PM