Authentication error connecting to pwa OData service RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a connection to an OData service in Project Web App with Lightswitch.

I enter the url in the form https://<sitename>.sharepoint.com/sites/pwa/_api/ProjectData.

I also put in the username and password for that account. I get the error "Could not authenticate user: <user>. Access is denied."

As an aside I have been able to create this connection in excel 2013, but only by logging in to the account on excel, and then using the user credentials option to create the connection (the connection does not work if I put in username and password when prompted upon setting up the connection).

I cannot replicate this approach on Visual Studio because I am unable to log in (I think it may be because it is an organisation account).

What is the issue here? is there a solution?

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 11:38 AM

All replies

• Let me understand the scenario here -

I assume your organization account (Domain\Username) allows you to access this SharePoint site - Cloud Business App project and not a plain LightSwitch project. As you create a Cloud Business App, specify the SharePoint URL of your site.  Once the project is created, launch Data Attach Wizard and choose SharePoint data source.  On the SharePoint page of the Wizard, the URL will be auto-populated and for authentication you can leave it as default choice "Automatically choose the user identity" and click Next. This should allow you to see the available lists and documents in the site.  Please give this try and let us know if it work.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 6:36 PM
  • Thanks for your response.

I tried exactly that and it worked. I specified the SharePoint URL when I created the Cloud Business App. Then on the Data Attach Wizard I put in the SharePoint site address, picked "Automatically choose the user identity", and clicked Next. I was then prompted to enter my organisation account username and password.

This brings up Lists with various entities, I presume from the SharePoint site.

I can't follow this approach for an OData connection.

Thursday, March 27, 2014 3:55 PM
  • Did you have any suggestions? I'm completely stuck with this.
    Monday, March 31, 2014 9:16 PM
  • Hi,

To consume Odata Service, for example, to connect Excel to an OData service, click on the PowerPivot tab and then click the “PowerPivot Window” button to launch PowerPivot. Click the “From Data Feeds” button and supply the Data Feed URL, then click next.

Beth's blog shows the procedure: Creating and Consuming LightSwitch OData Services

hope it helps.

Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, April 1, 2014 8:23 AM