none
How do I set file permissions on the folders in Azure Storage

Question

• I am totally new to this Azure portal.  I managed to create something called a Storage Account and a share.  I have tons of share experience etc, but I am puzzled on what to do next in Azure Storage.  I will have folders under the Share of course so how do I give different groups in AD access to the different folders. For example

Accounting folder - I want only my Accountants Group to have access

Human Resources folder - I only want my HR Group to have access to it

I do not want to create a separate share for each folder I want them all to be in the same Share and mapped to the same Drive, but have different folders with different access under it

can you help me please

Awesome

Friday, September 30, 2016 5:27 AM

All replies

• Do you mean in your Storage Account you created File Services then you created a share? Are you trying to map these as shares in Windows? You cannot assign individual access to folders. When you create the file share you map it using an access key. 

See Get started with Azure File storage on Windows

Friday, September 30, 2016 5:37 AM
  • Yes in my Storage Account I created a share which yes I will map to using that super duper key so my users will just see something like a P: drive, but it will have folders under it, and I need them to have different permissions

Awesome

Friday, September 30, 2016 5:46 AM
  • You can't apply user based permissions. 
    Friday, September 30, 2016 5:55 AM
  • At this time, assigning ownership to an Azure File Share (or folders therein) is not supported. It only supports all-or-nothing access. Adding this ability is on the roadmap, but I do not know the timeline.

Sr. Content Developer at Microsoft

Friday, October 28, 2016 6:31 AM