Png or Jpg file is good for User Experience

Question

• Hi, I need some feedback which image format is good for user experience for WinRT :

1. Png or Jpg file?

2. Resolution or Photo size.  ( ie : less than 1024 x768)

3. High Definition ?

under this condition:

a) display more than 100 images per page with ScrollViewer

b) Image control size :320x200.

Thanks

Monday, March 17, 2014 8:44 AM

Answers

• (1) Windows Store Apps supports both JPEG and PNG. It is basically dependent on usage while you choose a format. Refer JPEG or PNG – Which Image Format Offers Better Quality? Here is what it explains ->

PNG format is a lossless compression file format, which makes it a common choice for use on the Web. PNG is a good choice for storing line drawings, text, and iconic graphics at a small file size.

JPG format is a lossy compressed file format. This makes it useful for storing photographs at a smaller size than a BMP. JPG is a common choice for use on the Web because it is compressed. For storing line drawings, text, and iconic graphics at a smaller file size, GIF or PNG are better choices because they are lossless.

JPEGs are for photographs and realistic images. PNGs are for line art, text-heavy images, and images with few colors. GIFs are just fail.

(2) That again depends on how do you want to use your photo and what resolutions your app supports. Refer Scaling to different screens

(3) The blog Scaling to different screens has this image

I think that discussion is good enough to help you choose.

My Experience

In most of my projects I use PNG files, and they work great. In one of my photo app that connected to SharePoint people used to upload photos as JPEG and SharePoint helped me generate thumbnails of smaller size in JPEG format. So there is no absolute answer, all choices are good enough to solve the purpose.

-- Vishal Kaushik --

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you. Happy Coding!!!

Monday, March 17, 2014 2:45 PM