I get "Failed to update web app extension App Insights." what now? RRS feed

• Question

• I successfully installed AI on one of our web app on Azure and data flow in fine. I wanted to use it for another app too but when I go to Tools/Performance monitoring/AI/choose AI resource/OK I get:

DESCRIPTION
    Failed to update web app extension App Insights. Exception of type 'Microsoft.Portal.Framework.Exceptions.ClientException' was thrown.
    • STATUS
      Error
    • TIME
      Thursday, June 30, 2016, 5:50:39 PM
    • CORRELATION IDS
      84f3a7a4-028b-41e6-a670-61cac10e935a

this web app has two instances Standard Medium (while the other one just one), could it be the problem? Tried several times with no success.

Thursday, June 30, 2016 3:57 PM

Answers

• No, that's definitely not normal... Seems that there's a case when something got broken in between: actual monitoring has successfully started but link between AppInsights and Azure Web App was not created.

Do you see the Application Insights in the installed extensions list: Web App blade -> Tools -> Extensions? If it's there can you try to uninstall it -> wait for a minute (refresh portal optionally) -> and try to re-add it from Performance Monitoring?
    • Marked as answer by pmonte Wednesday, July 6, 2016 6:15 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 12:47 AM

All replies

• Can you please tell your Azure Web App name? - we will check the telemetry.
    Thursday, June 30, 2016 9:38 PM
  • Also it would be useful to get the logs from LogFiles directory: Web App blade -> Tools -> Kudu -> Go ->Debug Console from the menu -> LogFiles folder.
    Friday, July 1, 2016 12:03 AM
  • Sure the app name is tportal-prod. Which logs do you need? And how can I send them to you?
    Friday, July 1, 2016 7:07 AM
  • Can you please download the whole LogFiles folder and send it to Yulia dot Safarova at microsoft dot com?

In addition can you please try to reproduce the issue and get the session ID:

- Hit Ctrl+Alt+A, scroll to the bottom of the pop-up, copy the “sessionId” value.

Friday, July 1, 2016 5:32 PM
  • Julia,

I now see all the telemetries on AI even if in Performance Monitoring I still read "No results", I wonder if this is normal.

Monday, July 4, 2016 6:43 AM
  • No, that's definitely not normal... Seems that there's a case when something got broken in between: actual monitoring has successfully started but link between AppInsights and Azure Web App was not created.

Do you see the Application Insights in the installed extensions list: Web App blade -> Tools -> Extensions? If it's there can you try to uninstall it -> wait for a minute (refresh portal optionally) -> and try to re-add it from Performance Monitoring?
    • Marked as answer by pmonte Wednesday, July 6, 2016 6:15 AM
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 12:47 AM
  • It worked, thanks.
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 6:15 AM
  • Great!
    Wednesday, July 6, 2016 5:13 PM