none
Measuring 3D models RRS feed

• Question

• I am brand new to Kinect for Windows and I am wondering if there is a way to create a 3D model of a large fish for instance and then measure its length in centimeters or inches based on the 3D model. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:24 PM

All replies

• The Kinect can certainly assist in this type of scenario, but it doesn't do that "out of the box". You will have to develop the application to ensure it meets your requirements. For example, to create a 3D model of a "Real-World" object, you could use Kinect Fusion. The Kinect Toolkit provides a Kinect Fusion Explorer sample that allows you to export the object. The values of the vertices are normalized, so when you import those into a CAD or 3D application, they may not be in the units you need. You will have to modify the code if that is the case.

Additionally, if you just want to determine lengths, you could just use the RAW depth frame to determine real-world values. Depth is a value measured in millimeters. If you select 2 points, you can use vertex math to come up with the distance between those points.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Wednesday, August 21, 2013 4:43 PM
  • The values of the vertices are normalized, so when you import those into a CAD or 3D application, they may not be in the units you need. You will have to modify the code if that is the case.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Could you please explain more about how the vertices are normalized? I want to do some calculation, such as get the total area of the INuiMeshFusion.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 2:55 AM
  • This will depend if you are using an application to read the STL or are you using Kinect Fusion directly? If you use the ExportMesh api from Kinect Fusion, the values will be in meters.  If you import an STL file into an app the values may be arbitrary.

From the ExportMesh function, each vertex itself will have an x,y offset from center of the depth frame and the depth.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:28 PM