none
Can't Retract .WSP RRS feed

• Question

• One of my solutions failed to retract and seems to have put SharePoint in an invalid state.

Now whenever I try to deploy or retract any solution from VsWSS or from stsadm I get this error:

2009/06/29 09:52:05    Error
    System.Xml.XmlException: Name cannot begin with the ' ' character, hexadecimal value 0x20. Line 1235, position 6.
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Tools.Reflection.ReflectionUtility.InvokeMethod(MethodBase method, Object instance, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Tools.Reflection.ReflectionUtility.InvokeMethod(Type type, String methodName, Object instance, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Tools.SharePointProxies.SPProxy.InvokeMethod(String name, Object[] parameters)
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Tools.SharePointProxies.SPSolutionProxy.RetractLocal()
       at Microsoft.SharePoint.Tools.SharePointProxies.SPSolutionFacade.RetractSolution(String url, Guid id)
       at VSeWSS.Server.Services.SPService.RetractSolution(String url, Guid id)

any ideas? It looks like some invalid xml is stuck in the database.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 1:58 PM

Answers

• I found the problem. I ran a full text file search on the SharePoint folder structure for "< "

The file:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\XML\wss.xsd was corrupt.

I replaced it with a version from another server and everything works!
    • Marked as answer by jkg0 Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:19 PM

All replies

• What are you doing to retract it?

David Lozzi
    Delphi Technology Solutions
    Blog  |  LinkedIn | Twitter
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:03 PM
  • setup.bat /uninstall

from inside <ProjectFolder>/bin/debug

same error when I try to remove it from the WSS Centeral Admin site.
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:29 PM
  • Hi, try with this utility:

http://www.hexanes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/featurecleaner-v0.zip
    Microsoft MCP 6608628
    Monday, June 29, 2009 3:54 PM
  • Good idea but the problem is not with the features. It is the solution (.wsp file) that can't be retracted. And not just one of them. All of them.

Does anyone know which xml files are involved in adding and removing solutions? The problem seems to be a corrupt xml file either in the database or in the file system. I don't know where to begin looking. I will try to run a trace on the database.
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 12:34 PM
  • have you tried the stsadm -o retractsolution command?

Features are installed in the following locations (someone correct me if i'm wrong)
    c:\program files\common files\microsoft shared\web server extensions\12
    \template\layouts
    \template\features

and the DLL will be in the GAC, use gacutil to uninstall it.

HTH

David Lozzi
    Delphi Technology Solutions
    Blog  |  LinkedIn | Twitter
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:13 PM
  • I found the problem. I ran a full text file search on the SharePoint folder structure for "< "

The file:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\XML\wss.xsd was corrupt.

I replaced it with a version from another server and everything works!
    • Marked as answer by jkg0 Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:19 PM
    Tuesday, June 30, 2009 1:19 PM