C++AMP-ish Direct3d RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi!

I had an idea that came into my mind when I was posting on isocpp.org forums about upcoming C++14 features, and I thought I'd share my idea here and ask for the opinions of fellow programmers:

How would you like guys, if Direct3D were to have an interface similar to C++AMP? My idea is that AMP has an extremely neat interface that integrates into C++ real neat. How would you like if Direct3d were to have something similar too. Wouldn't it be cool, if you could write shaders in C++ with the same restricitions like restrict(amp) functions, and could share data between display and compute shaders almost completely transparently. If one could have a class, have vertex, geometry, tess and pixel shaders as seperate functions, and there was some abstraction to have them linked together and also to have one to create display lists (I'am a lot more familiar with OpenGL terminology).

The only reason I ask is because I like the way MS took the liberty of coming up with an 'API' that ever so elegantly brought parallel computing closer to C++. I would love, if the grapihcs pipeline could be brought similarly close to the language. Or is this a bad idea?

Sunday, April 7, 2013 8:55 PM