Using Expression Web 2 with GoDaddy RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there.

I wasn't sure if I figured out the answer using the other posts, but I wanted to know:  My work's website is hosted by GoDaddy.  The website was designed and maintained by a small company who's now no longer able to do so.  We're a small organization, so I wanted to use a program like Expression to revamp and maintain our website.  Is that something I can do if we're on GoDaddy?

Thanks,
    Theresa
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:16 PM

Answers

All replies

• Yes.  The host is independent of the website.  EW can handle any website, hosted with any host.  This is the case because of its more powerful FTP publishing capability.

--
    Chris Hanscom - Microsoft MVP
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Get a Complete Website Analysis by Veign
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Thanks for replying so quickly.  Also (sorry if these are silly questions - I'm a novice), we haven't purchsed the software yet, but would we be able to use it to incorporate video and other interactive features on the website as well?
    Thanks again,
    Theresa
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:30 PM
  • Yes.  There is an Insert menu item for multimedia.

Before you buy go and download the trial.  Give it a test run for yourself.  Its free.

--
    On Facebook | On Twitter | Resource Center | Veign's Blog | Web Development Help

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:41 PM
  • Also, keep in mind that EW is just a tool.  Its a not a magic bullet.  You still need to learn the underlying web technologies, at a minimum CSS and HTML.  W3schools.com is a great place for that.
    --

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Thanks!
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:45 PM
  • No problem and visit the forums often.  Even if you don't have a question you'll be amazed at how much you can learn just by reading whats other are discussing.

Good luck!
    --

Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:50 PM
  • Before you start working on your prduction site I'd suggest you visit http://w3schools.com and work your way through the html and css tutorials. Once you have done that go to http://by-expression.com/content/tutorials.aspx downlaod the Basic Website video and the accompanying asset file which will help you learn how to use the htm/css tools in Expression Web (it was written for EW 1-2 and will be updated for 3 when I have time to do so). Note to download files from by-expression.com you must create an account and be logged in but the tutorials, samples, etc. there are free.

You can create a separate folder or even add another domain to your GoDaddy account to use for learning how to work on websites. Contrary to what many people believe and far too many companies that sell web design software tell you creating a website that works cross browser as you want it to do is not something you can do without learning some html and css.

Good luck
    MS MVP Expression Tutorials & Help http://by-expression.com and online instructor led Expression Classes
    • Proposed as answer by Cheryl D Wise Thursday, July 30, 2009 6:00 PM
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:57 PM
  • Thanks so much for all the resources.  I'm definitely up for learning - luckily, this is interesting and I am a some-time insomniac!  But seriously, we're a nonprofit, so I'm learning to do this on my own.  We have a website up now, but we'd like to build one that we have full access to and understanding of how to mange and can do so in a cohesive and structured way.
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:06 PM
  • Something to look into is a CMS solution, like Joomla .  If you're a non-profit with different people in different places and a high turn over of volunteers than a Content Management System may make your life much easier.  I have setup Joomla sites for non-profits before an I know its saved them from the headaches of website design while still giving them a great looking website with powerful capability.  The learning curve is also greatly reduced, down from 100's of hours to hours.

Just an option.
    --

Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:19 PM