none
X509 Certificate.Verify RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys!

I want to know what kind of verification X509Certificate2.Verify(); does? Does it do the Digital Signature validation? Any elaboration for this method.

M Ahsan

Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:12 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Ashan,

X509Certificate.Verify uses Chain Validation using Basic Validation Policy

srithar

Sunday, March 17, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Hi Srithar,

This is what written on MSDN and is not clear to me. What does Basic Validation Policy mean? Can you elaborate a bit?

M Ahsan

Monday, March 18, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

From my understanding, if you choose a digital certificate as user credentials, generally, the authenticating party will use a mode of the "ChainTrust" (Trust Chain) to authenticate the certificate of the user. In this mode, the authenticating party will drill up from the cretificates's direct authority, if you have any authority is trusted, then the authentication is successful.

As you know, Certificates are created in a hierarchy where each individual certificate is linked to the CA that issued the certificate. This link is to the CA's certificate. The CA's certificate then links to the CA that issued the orginal CA's certificate. This process is repeated up until the Root CA's certificate is reached. The Root CA's certificate is inherently trusted.

For more information on how certificate works, please refer #Working with Certificates

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms731899.aspx

Best Regards.

Haixia
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 2:23 AM
  • Hi Ashan,

Refer this link to know about Basic Validation Policy

Basic Validation Policy

srithar

• Edited by Srithar Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by M Ahsan Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:45 AM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:40 AM
  • Hi Srithar,

Thanks a lot! Now its clear to me :)....

M Ahsan

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:46 AM