none
Power Pivot settings to connect to oracle database (OOS) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

As we are aware that Excel Services are no longer available in SharePoint 2016 and is being merged into Office Online Server 2016

We are using PowerPivot in SharePoint 2013, to connect to Oracle database and it is schedule to refresh on a daily basis which is fine as we created two application ID in Secure Store service application, one is the Unattended Service account and another application ID contains Oracle UserName and Password

Now we have are upgrading SharePoint 2013 to 2016,  what settings we needs to made to run data refresh, I have tried a lot of settings but fail to make it work, Office Online Server 2016

Call to Excel Services returned an error.
    More Details: ECS failed with non-zero return status. First error is name='ExternalDataRefreshFailed'; message='An error occurred while working on the Data Model in the workbook. Please try again.

Regards, 

Faraz Javaid

Monday, December 4, 2017 1:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Faraz,

Thanks for your question.

According to your description, the biggest issue here is that Excel Services are no longer available in SharePoint 2016, but you want to configure Power Pivot to support in SharePoint 2016, right?

In this scenario, you might want to refer to below blogs:
    Enable PowerPivot Support in Office Online Server 2016 and Sharepoint 2016  
    Connecting Excel to Data with SharePoint 2016 and Office Online Server 2016 

Best Regards
    Willson Yuan
    MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 2:49 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your response,

I have gone through these articles, and have used "Use a Stored Account" approach which is the simplest and practical in my scenes of all, I was able to do the schedule data refresh for SharePoint list and it is showing success

What I did in SharePoint PowerPivot gallery have set "Use the credentials contained in the workbook" option in Manage Data Refresh page for the Data Source

The problem is in Schedule Data Refresh for Oracle database, I was able to do it in SharePoint 2013 using PowerPivot and Secure Store Service, but now this is not working using that approach in Office Online Server

Can anyone please help me get schedule data refresh from PowerPivot in office online server

Faraz Javaid

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 5:53 AM
  • Sharepoint 2016, PowerPivot, Office Online Server 2016

Error:

PowerPivot Data Refresh Error

Call to Excel Services returned an error. More Details: ECS failed with non-zero return status. First error is name='ExternalDataRefreshFailed'; message='An error occurred while working on the Data Model in the workbook. Please try again. We were unable to refresh one or more data connections in this workbook. The following connections failed to refresh:

Environment:

SharePoint 2016 (MinRole Topology)

Web Front End Server and Distributed Cache

Application and Search Server

Database Server (PowerPivot Installed)

Office Online Server

Background

As you are aware Microsoft has removed Excel Services from SharePoint 2013 and now it is available in office online server, and my understanding is that all the features related to Excel Services should be working in Excel Online as well,

I have installed Office Online Server 2016 with all the pre-requisites for Business Intelligence and configured it with Sharepoint 2016

We also configured Power Pivot for Sharepoint and it also created PowerPivot Service application

We have couple of Excel Workbooks with PowerPivot enabled and data appearing from SharePoint list and Oracle database which we want to be refresh daily

We have configured Secure Store Service Application ID with Type “Group” and specified Set Credentials

In the workbook under authentication have specified that Application ID and then uploaded in the PowerPivot Gallery

Issue

This above setting is working fine for Sharepoint 2016 list and data is getting refreshed, but it is not working for oracle database and throwing the above error

Faraz Javaid

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 7:03 AM
  • Hi there,

you might want to open a support case for this issue to get a better service.

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 1:37 PM