EW4 Will Not Open - Application Crash RRS feed

• Question

• Until now, I have used EW4 for over a year without a hitch.  It has now developed an error that causes it to crash while trying to load. 

My OS is Win7 SP1 x64. The Windows Application Log always shows two errors associated with this crash.  First there is a ".NET Runtime" error (Event ID 1026) followed by an EW Application Error showing Exception code 0xe0434352

I have uninstalled .NET 4.5.1 and installed .NET 4.5.2.  I have uninstalled EW4 and reinstalled it.  Neither worked.  Prior to that, I had tried doing "Repairs" on both .NET and EW and that didn't work either.

This problem is discussed on several threads going back a couple of years on some EW forums.  Unfortunately, none of thopse discussions have contained a solution that fixes my problem.

I even uninstalled EW and tried downloading and installing the current free web trial.  That behaves the same and will not load.

I have run out of ideas.  Can anyone help?

Thanks, Mardon

Monday, April 13, 2015 3:09 PM

All replies

• Obviously if it ran without a hitch and only recently developed a problem, then something changed on your machine, and it wasn't any official change to EW4, since it hasn't been, and won't be, updated.   In short, this is a corruption on your machine problem, not something that we can tell you how to fix.   [Heck, it could even be caused by hardware that is starting to fail (memory, disk).  Complex programs can be hit first, when that happens.]

EventID 1026 just means that .NET wrote the error to the log.  It doesn't tell you what happened that caused the problem, unfortunately.

You say you've "tried everything".   If you really have, that means there is nothing else to try.  If you haven't really tried everything, you might try the http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30135   .Net Framework repair tool.  Beyond that (and probably including that), any ideas have already been posted in this forum.

Monday, April 13, 2015 3:36 PM
  • 2 things to try.

1st: using windows explorer go to C:\Windows\Prefetch.

Delete everything inside the Prefetch folder except the readyboot folder and see if it helps.

If not Google:  delete pagefile on shutdown.
    Follow the instructions for editing the registry entry and then restart the machine twice and then try to open EW.

Expression Web MVP

Monday, April 13, 2015 7:00 PM
  • Thank you Steve for the suggestions. I tired both. I deleted all the files in the Prefetch folder except the readyboot folder. No luck with EW. I then changed the registry to clear the pagefile on shutdown. That change took effect because the shutdown takes a long time now. I rebooted twice and then tried launching EW. Still no joy. Any other thoughts? Thanks again, Mardon
    Monday, April 13, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Thank you Steve for the suggestions. I tired both. I deleted all the files in the Prefetch folder except the readyboot folder. No luck with EW. I then changed the registry to clear the pagefile on shutdown. That change took effect because the shutdown takes a long time now. I rebooted twice and then tried launching EW. Still no joy. Any other thoughts? Thanks again, Mardon

Not that you have not already tried.

Expression Web MVP

Tuesday, April 14, 2015 1:51 PM
  • When your frustration level hits the ceiling, then, if it was me, it’s time to go deep! 
    > empty startup folder
    > run MSCONFIG, empty startups
    > Try “safe mode”. Does it launch?
    > Make a new “desktop” (Guest) and see if it will launch there? I’ve had problems with “Freehand” on my main system and found that the problems didn’t exist on my “guest” desktop. Requires “restart”. . .
    > Any other problems with other programs?
    > How old is the system and hard drive?
    > Remove last updates.
    > Empty all temps/caches.
    > Sometimes you have to get rid of “bit-rot”. Depending when the system was installed and the number of programs that are running, maybe, hate to say it. . . FORMAT and reinstall system and programs. . .  If that doesn’t, try a different computer? Good luck.
    Tuesday, April 14, 2015 10:06 PM
  • The first step should have been to roll the computer back to its Last Known Good Configuration. That's why Windows Restore Points are created and saved. Use them.

Uninstalling and reinstalling are the LAST resorts (because they never accomplish anything for any program).

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?"
    "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue."
    It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:57 AM
  • Actually, uninstalling and reinstalling asp.net framework has been, frequently, the solution in the forum history. Uninstalling and reinstalling EW itself is almost never the answer, again based on the forum history.

Of course trying a restore point can be a solution, assuming the issue wasn't caused by a software update and a subsequent update of ... whatever .. doesn't cause it to happen again.  And if it's a hardware situation developing, nothing will work until that's discovered and fixed.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 4:38 AM
  • Thanks to everyone who has offered suggestions. When I originally posted, I was hoping that there might be an easy, known solution that I could quickly implement.  I guess I was too optimistic. :)

I rarely work on web pages so I don't want to get into too much disruption of my system.  I also have Dreamweaver (and it is working) so I'll probably just switch to that.  I liked EW though because I am only an occasional author of basic web pages and I found EW easier to understand than Dreamweaver.

Some good points have been raised in your messages of help, so I thought I'd quickly respond to some of them. 

I totally agree about the usefulness of restore points.  The reason that I haven't used them with this issue is that I don't know how long ago EW was working correctly. I rarely use it and it's probably been  6 months since I know it worked.  I have been reluctant to start working my way back through my restore points to find out when EW starts working again.  That would mess up too many changes that I have made to other things during that period.  I also create a monthly Paragon archive of my OS drive and weekly backups of my data drives.  For catastrophic failures, I can do a bare-metal restore that is no older than one month.  But again, the problem with EW could have started any time in the past 6 months. Restoring from an archive is too extreme for me when I have Dreamweaver available.

I tried shutting down all non-essential process but that didn't help.  Neither did creating a new User account with Admin privileges and running EW from there.

I doubt that it is a hardware issue.  I am not having any other known problems.  My OS and programs are on a 500GB Intel SSD that is 1 year old.  Internal data is on a 2TB WD Black and I have two internal RAID0 2TB WD Black arrays for video. External data is on two 4TB WD Blacks in a 4 slot eSATA dock backed up to more external 4TB WD Blacks. (BTW, the machine is custom made by ADK Kentucky - a great company.  I don't have any affiliation other than a satisfied customer.)

Thanks again for all the suggestions,

Mardon

Wednesday, April 15, 2015 3:18 PM
  • There shouldn’t be any reason EW won’t work on your system? You certainly have the “power” covered to do just about anything! Not sure if the SSD could cause an issue? There has been some feedback of “things” happening in certain areas. . . Now I’m thinking the “uninstall” may not be removing “ALL” associated program files and that or those files are corrupted and a fresh install continues to load that/those same files (maybe in the Reg. as well), thus giving you the head ache? Here’s that “go deep” thing again (maybe we’re wasting to much time here, but). You didn’t say anything about “safe mode” any results there? If you get the same results, which you may because the same files will be used, then I would search “all” EW associated files and folders and delete them all after the uninstall procedure. Check personal folder and setting and insure nothing about EW remains. There might be something hanging back? This is where Walmart would be a good choice for an inexpensive laptop. Here you could load EW to insure there’s nothing wrong with the download? Maybe sticking with DW might be a better choice anyway, because it may last longer than EW. . .? The reason you’re hearing from me again, is because I think this happened to me once, but for the life of me, I can’t remember the fix??? Good luck and if I do recall it, I’ll pass it on. . .
    Thursday, April 16, 2015 6:02 AM
  • There shouldn’t be any reason EW won’t work on your system? You certainly have the “power” covered to do just about anything! Not sure if the SSD could cause an issue? There has been some feedback of “things” happening in certain areas. . . Now I’m thinking the “uninstall” may not be removing “ALL” associated program files and that or those files are corrupted and a fresh install continues to load that/those same files (maybe in the Reg. as well), thus giving you the head ache? Here’s that “go deep” thing again (maybe we’re wasting to much time here, but). You didn’t say anything about “safe mode” any results there? If you get the same results, which you may because the same files will be used, then I would search “all” EW associated files and folders and delete them all after the uninstall procedure. Check personal folder and setting and insure nothing about EW remains. There might be something hanging back? This is where Walmart would be a good choice for an inexpensive laptop. Here you could load EW to insure there’s nothing wrong with the download. . .

Which part of this...

"I was hoping that there might be an easy, known solution that I could quickly implement."

... did you not understand?

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.

Sunday, April 19, 2015 7:14 PM
  • Holy batcrap, clap trap or just crap! Mr. “Have keyboard, will insult” Paladyn! Yea! The last time I was on this forum, was December 2013 and that was “your” suggested subject! I see you haven’t changed one iota! And here I thought I was directing my response to a person who was having problems and as I started to send the text below, I caught it just in time because there you were! As normal, adding an insult! I should’ve realized your “little” response “wasn’t” from the originator, but from Mr. Insult himself, I know all, Mr. Paladyn! Wow! What a pleasure we should meet again. Hey, it’s been 16 months! I guess you’re the “Man”, policeman, judge or virus in-charge? Last time you didn’t like me mentioning Mr. Morten and I guess you haven’t forgotten, nor have I. I never finished my response back then because I thought it would be a waste of time! I guess I was right! But wait, here you are again pulling the same crapola! You otta find something else to do with your life other than insulting me and maybe other people on this forum? Get outside and smell the roses! Why do you find it necessary to “insert” your two-cent worth of expertise, better known as claptrap,  between other forum customers? Other than, you see me as the target and you don’t like that yelandmark? I should be so honored! You see, I don’t always “re-read” everything on the response side, so if I missed "I was hoping that there might be an easy, known solution that I could quickly implement,” excuse me.  I don’t see “where” it’s your responsibility to point this out and to everyone else, and suggest that this “idiot” can’t read??? I’m sure you like that idiot noun? Probably makes you feel good. . . But wait, there’s more!

Gee, guess what? I scanned this page and there seems to be lacking an actual proper answer from Mr. Paladyn for the originator, Mr. Mardon? Oh, but there I was. Trying to help Mr. Mardon. So, Mr. Paladyn zeroed in on that and suggested I can’t read. Really productive! Congratulations! 

In any case, my response I wrote for the originator, below, is null and void, is now just for “you” Mr. “Have keyboard, will insult,” Paladyn (Richard Boone had something to with that). Maybe “you” would be a good candidate to “report abuse?” Maybe we can work on that and we’ll get there. . .   

Oh, thanks for wasting an hour of life I’ll never get back!

I’ll look forward to your response should “I”, your humble yelandmark,  ever have a question about EW and I post it here. I’m sure you’ll have a very nice response. . .

=====================================================================
    Below, not for Mr. Mardon, because he didn’t instigate this response and had nothing to do with it. Just for my friend Mr. “Have keyboard, will insult” Paladyn: 
    =====================================================================
    I’m so sorry. . . uncle Albert! I thought you were looking for an answer to get EW up and running? If you are “uninstalling” and “re-installing” plus removing dot net files, then not to go one step further and try what I suggested, then a simple response would have been, “thanks for the suggestion, but I’ve exceeded my frustration limits and I wish not to pursue it any further ,” would’ve been just fine? Instead, you elected to flag, color, outline, use bold type (did I leave anything out?) (At this point, I should’ve realize that Mr. “Have keyboard, will insult” Paladyn had something to do with this style) to perhaps point out that I’m stupid and I should keep my suggestions to myself and I don’t know what I’m talking about! Nowhere in your initial question did you say anything about “quick”! I thought this was a EW forum for answers and not a personal ridicule chalkboard (That’s were Mr. “Have keyboard, will insult” Paladyn fits in)? Just think, you might’ve helped those other soles who are also looking for answers, but you elected to point out that I’m just an idiot and I can’t read! Bravo! What a man! 

My final “stupid” suggestion: If you have a program that’s starts acting up on a same system that hasn’t changed, then something is causing the error. If you don’t want to pursue it or this is too deep, then be prepared for other problems to arise? Also, be prepared for a total loss of data! What I suggested may have taken thirty minutes, or so, PLUS if you tried it and it failed, then perhaps you would’ve helped others not to waste their time and to try different avenues, which I didn’t suggest!

I guess that request,  “can anyone help” was for only “certain people” to respond? You should have added “you better not exceed my limits for help” or I’ll degrade you!  “Thanks for the suggestion” would’ve been just fine. . .! (See, this is all Mr. Paladyn fault)!

Now that I got that off my chest, I can move on to bigger and better things. . .

Oh. Don’t forget to put this reply in a box, colored, bold face so no one will miss it!

You’re welcome.

Caveat? If you didn’t understand how to do any of the tricks that I pointed out, then I’ll forgive you? Like you, I don’t want to spend anymore time on fixing your computer. But, the “safe” mode trick is simple. And if EW launches, then you can resolve it’s another program that’s launching in standard mode that causing EW not to launch. . . Then it would be up to you to discover which program is the culprit? Like I said and others, it’s NOT EW! It’s something else on your system. . . 

(Happy, Mr. Paladyn?)  

This concludes 18 months of silence only to come back to be insulted by Mr. “Have keyboard, will insult” Paladyn! Really must have been busy? Wow, 24,370 points! I guess that's good? 

Cheers!
    Friday, April 24, 2015 7:29 AM
  • "Wow, 24,370 points! I guess that's good?"

Yes. Yes, it is. It's spectacular. That's the result of helping a significant number of people, and those people marked his responses as the Answer or as Helpful. That's how it works.

It's always the people with 0 points who think they can dictate the rules, isn't it?

A horse walks into a bar. The bartender asks "Why the long face?" "Because I was born into servitude and when I die my hooves will be used to make glue." It was at this point that the bartender realized he would not be getting a tip.

• Proposed as answer by Duke Doc Saturday, May 2, 2015 7:05 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Duke Doc Saturday, May 2, 2015 7:05 PM
    Saturday, April 25, 2015 1:19 PM
  • Understanding the agony of restoring to earlier, unknown, times, I us VMware or any of several similar products to make a clone of my machine in its present state then work backwards until the "problem child" works again as originally intended.

Relatively painless as no permanent damage to your current configuration, you can also make a copy of the original clone when you start to test the repair of the cause of the problem without testing it in your real machine.  More often than not I've found that the approach works more quickly to get to the identity of the problem, and once identified, the forums or the appropriate help desk work in short order. 

If you have a long term compatibility issue, VMware can also be used as a long term fix for seldom used software.  For my business I have to keep non-updated version 10-15 years past to maintain client compatibility.

• Proposed as answer by Duke Doc Saturday, May 2, 2015 7:17 PM
    Saturday, May 2, 2015 7:16 PM
  • Thanks Duke Doc. I have used a virtual machine to preview pre-release operating systems but I've never used VMware in the manner that you suggest. It's an interesting idea. I probably won't bother in this situation though since EW seems to be on the way out anyway.  I've already played around with Dreamweaver. I'll probably just make the move now.  Thanks again though.
    Saturday, May 2, 2015 10:21 PM
  • "since EW seems to be on the way out anyway"

Well, not until CSS and HTML have made some major transformation from its current state, and that won't happen any time soon.

Monday, May 4, 2015 9:36 PM