none
Deploy SSRS report on web-server RRS feed

• Question

•  Hi all,

I have created a SSRS report that is used inhouse and is working perfectly.
    We now have the requirement to make this report usable by some clients outside the network.
    We do not want to expose the SQL server to the internet.
    I believe I can create a simple asp.net page with the ReportViewer Control Web-Server in order to achieve this.  Is this the case?  Will this meet my requirements.
    Does the report have to be recreated within this control.
    How will the end user (offsite) see and use this?
    Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Froggie
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:15 AM

Answers

• If you don't want to expose your Report server to the internet you can create a website that uses the ReportViewer control in Remote mode to render reports. You just need set the control to ProcessingMode = Remote, set the ReportServerUrl to the URL of the report server and set the ReportPath to the location of the report on the server. To answer your other questions the report will not have to be recreated since it is still rendered on the report server, the viewer will just display the output. How the end user will see/use it is entirely up to you since you will have to develop the site that contains the control. The control provides the general functions for interacting with the report such as page navigation, export and searching; however if you want to provided functionality similar to Report Manager you will have to implement this yourself. One thing you will have to keep in mind is how your going to handle security between your custom site and the Report Server.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by FroggieIE Monday, December 8, 2008 10:53 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 3:13 PM

All replies

• If you don't want to expose your Report server to the internet you can create a website that uses the ReportViewer control in Remote mode to render reports. You just need set the control to ProcessingMode = Remote, set the ReportServerUrl to the URL of the report server and set the ReportPath to the location of the report on the server. To answer your other questions the report will not have to be recreated since it is still rendered on the report server, the viewer will just display the output. How the end user will see/use it is entirely up to you since you will have to develop the site that contains the control. The control provides the general functions for interacting with the report such as page navigation, export and searching; however if you want to provided functionality similar to Report Manager you will have to implement this yourself. One thing you will have to keep in mind is how your going to handle security between your custom site and the Report Server.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by FroggieIE Monday, December 8, 2008 10:53 PM
    Monday, December 8, 2008 3:13 PM
  • Thank you very much for the detailed and helpful reply.
    So in theory, my website could just be an asp.net project with a control on it and nothing else?
    For the purposes of this project nothing else needs to be on the site.

Can you possibly give me a rough idea of what sort of things I should be considering in terms of security for the site and where could I go to learn more? 

Thanks again.
    Monday, December 8, 2008 10:25 PM
  • One further question is, if my existing report contains filters which require user input, do I need to provide these input areas in my asp site?
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 4:19 AM