none
Install/Uninstall process too slow

General discussion

• Hello,

I would like to see if anyone else feel that the install/uninstall process for Visual Studio is too slow (and potentially unreliable). I specifically am talking about Visual Studio 2015. I know Microsoft has tried to make this part faster but my recent experiences with uninstalling Visual Studio Update 3 and VS refusing to start after a successful uninstall points to a process that still needs to be ironed out. Since I was left with a VS install that wouldn't even launch, I decided to completely remove the application (happening as I type this) and install it from scratch and from no angle it looks like it's going to be quick. I would appreciate if MS would do something to make this process faster (especially if all the bits needed to be installed are available locally). That would, in my mind show a much mature approach to enterprises where one cannot afford to lose a day or two, if something goes wrong, just waiting and watching the install/uninstall wizards on the screen.

Thanks everyone

PS: I wanted to add a couple of options that came to my mind as I watch the uninstall take place. VS can provide a reset functionality per update similar to a reset experimental hive that quickly removes any unneeded packages from Visual Studio and could continue working on uninstalling them from the machine in background.

• Edited by Rupendra Dhillon Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:15 PM Added an idea that could work
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 3:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Rupendra Dhillon,

If we use the Visual Studio 2015 web installer, it will more slowly when installing and uninstalling the Visual Studio. Because some components for Visual Studio need to be downloaded through internet. Besides the downloading time, if the network is slow, it also affect the installation speed.

So I suggest you use Visual Studio 2015 ISO installer, it will take a long time when download this installer because it will download all the components for Visual Studio. But since this components have been downloaded in the ISO installer, the installation process need not download them through network, which will save a lot of time.

And you could choose the Custom installation option when installing Visual Studio, which you could choose the features that you needed from the feature list. It could save a lot of time and space for the components that you don't need.

The idea of background uninstalling when using Visual Studio is a good idea. I suggest you submit your idea to Visual Studio User Voice and then share the feedback link here. It could let other communities who has the same idea to vote it. I think the product team will treat it seriously. 

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, September 23, 2016 3:09 AM
  • Hi Rupendra Dhillon,

I help you submit your idea for background uninstalling to Visual Studio User Voice. Following is the feedback link. You could vote and add comments for it. I think the product team will treat it seriously.

https://visualstudio.uservoice.com/forums/121579-visual-studio-2015/suggestions/16410766-background-uninstalling

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, September 29, 2016 1:24 AM