none
Does WEC 7 has support for IHV UI Extensions DLL and IHV Extensions DLL to extend the functionality of the Native 802.11 framework? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Currently we are developing WIFI miniport  driver for Windows Embedded Compat 7. We want to extend the security features supported by Native 80211 framework through IHV Extensions DLL. But didn't find any resource specifying WEC 7 support for IHV Dlls.

Pls let us know whether WEC 7 supports it and any resource for developing it. Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 6:27 PM

Answers

• 1) You're already loading them after boot, although you may not clearly see it. They aren't built-in drivers but are loaded by the PCI bus driver as it detects them on the bus.

2) You can make a driver load on startup, but the driver will no doubt have assumptions about how, when and by whom it should be loaded. Just adding registry entries won't give you a functional system. Your PCI-based driver, for example, assumes much about registry entries made for it by the bus driver. Fail to make those entries during load and you'll crash spectacularly. Drivers for built-in devices are added to the HKLM/Drivers/BuiltIn branch of the registry. So, if you use a CAB file to install your built-in device driver you can add entries there to load a driver in some way or another.

3) No.

Paul T.

• Marked as answer by karanIn Friday, March 7, 2014 2:50 AM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 4:40 PM

All replies

• Its been 1 week there is no reply for my query. Is this forum active or Microsoft no longer supports WEC7. Looks like Microsoft Native wifi team is inactive. There are many queries related to IHV Extension DLLs which are unanswered. There are samples provided for WINDOWS 7, which doesn't give enough info for porting it to WEC7. From code point of view it is clear that WEC7 has support for IHV Extension DLLS, but unclear to what extent we can use it. We got stuck for a week now. Please help developers in clarifying the issues.  

Let me know if this is not the right place to post this kind of queries.
    Thanks 

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 5:25 PM
  • Someone from MSFT must respond to it now! With WEC7 having minimal documentation, sometimes it really becomes difficult to tackle issues like one posted in this thread.
    Wednesday, February 19, 2014 9:54 AM
  • Your query is properly located, but this is not a Microsoft pipeline, certainly not a pipeline to the development team, but a peer support forum.

You have 2 support incidents as a result of Platform Builder purchase. Use one. I think this is the only chance to get details on this seldom-used functionality. I presume that if any of us knew the answer, we'd have replied by now.

Paul T.

Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:11 PM
  • I've tried to dig into this enough to give you some further direction but have not found the source code information to be helpful. I can only again point you to a direct MS support request.

Paul T.

Wednesday, February 26, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks for spending your valuable time for us. Even I tried my level best to get info on this. 
    One more point to mention, wlanext.exe service which loads the IHV Extension DLL is not started during Native WIFI Stack initialization. In Windows 7 svchost.exe start the wlanext.exe service which is not available for WEC7. 
    Cross checked with WEC2013, but couldn't figure out any differences. Even in WEC2013 wlanext.exe service is not started. Similar query is posted in WEC forum, but as usual no response.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8498bd11-76c4-4fe4-8158-cee0bfde3fef/how-to-start-wlanextexe-native-wifi-ihv-extensibility-framework-service-in-wec7-and-wec2013?forum=winembplatdev

Please clear the following queries:

1) We have a PCI Ndis driver(WLAN) which is part of NK.bin and is loaded during system boot up. Can we load these drivers dynamically after system boots up(driver is not part of NK.bin)? 

2) Is there any way to load driver using .inf files (similar to Windows 7) in WEC7?

3) Converting .inf to .reg files?

Thanks in advance.

Saturday, March 1, 2014 7:13 AM
  • 1) You're already loading them after boot, although you may not clearly see it. They aren't built-in drivers but are loaded by the PCI bus driver as it detects them on the bus.

2) You can make a driver load on startup, but the driver will no doubt have assumptions about how, when and by whom it should be loaded. Just adding registry entries won't give you a functional system. Your PCI-based driver, for example, assumes much about registry entries made for it by the bus driver. Fail to make those entries during load and you'll crash spectacularly. Drivers for built-in devices are added to the HKLM/Drivers/BuiltIn branch of the registry. So, if you use a CAB file to install your built-in device driver you can add entries there to load a driver in some way or another.

3) No.

Paul T.

• Marked as answer by karanIn Friday, March 7, 2014 2:50 AM
    Monday, March 3, 2014 4:40 PM
  • Thanks for your support Paul. Will proceed further with our findings on WEC7.  Let me know if u find any resource related to Native 802.11 Extensions DLL for WEC7.

Thanks

KaranIn.

Friday, March 7, 2014 2:57 AM