book recomendation for VS extensibility RRS feed

• General discussion

• HI,

Any recommendation for good books for learning VS extensiblity.

I am creating small DSL and need to implement features like

1.       Visual Designers for my DSL. Users can also write code in designer (like opening a win form).

2.       Text editor for my DSL with intellisense.

3.       “Right click menu options” when User select my DSL file in Solution explorer or Designer

4. Design and split and source view (like aspx page), when user is writing code in DSL

Regards

singhhome
    • Moved by Esther FanMicrosoft employee Friday, October 8, 2010 10:35 PM (From:Visual Studio Extensibility Release Candidate)
    • Changed type Blair McG Friday, October 15, 2010 9:58 AM Very old question moved from other forum - will upset answer stats
    • Moved by Esther FanMicrosoft employee Friday, October 15, 2010 10:02 PM (From:Visual Studio Visualization & Modeling SDK (DSL Tools))
    Saturday, May 15, 2010 7:59 AM

All replies

• Hello.

I'm not aware of books describing all these advanced features which are more implemented using "Visual Studio Extensibility" features than DSL Tools regular features. Also, I'm not clear, when you say that you created a smal DSL, if this is a graphical or a textual DSL (since you want to get Text editor with intellisense for your DSL (2), I supose therefore that this is a textual DSL.

In case you are interested in having, in addition, a graphical DSL, I'd suggest as a starting point:

1. That your graphical DSL uses a custom tool (see the last chapter of the DSL Tools lab fabout code generation or this) that generates a partial class. Another partial class would be your custom-code source view. This would solve 1) and 4)
    2. The right-click menu options can be done by adding new commands handers in the CommandSet of your DSL, and hoocked in the .vsct file of your graphical DSL to an existing menu (the context menu in the code, which you'll get by GUID): please see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793460.aspx
    3. For the IntelliSense, it's more an editor question (See http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd885242.aspx)

I hope this helps

Best regards

Jean-Marc
    Friday, October 15, 2010 5:46 AM