Can you run Steam Gaming platform on Windows Developer Preview?

Question

• I have a Gaming platform called "STEAM" and I have purchased over 100 games through them and they run on the STEAM platform on Windows 7.

How will this be handled in Windows 8.

Original Title: Windows 8 and Games? 

Friday, December 09, 2011 5:01 PM

Answers

• Got Steam working ok.

1 thing surprised me Quake 4 runs in Windows 8 Dev pre with out any problems, I couldn't get it to work in Windows 7.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:23 AM

All replies

• It works the same like in Windows 7. But wait for the Beta before you start using Windows 8 for gaming.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Friday, December 09, 2011 9:19 PM
  • steam will work the same on windows 8 dp as it does on win7. no issues with it from my end at all. you do not need to wait for beta testing before using windows 8 for gaming as steam will funtion the same on win8 dp as it does on win7 including the steam cloud services. i am using win8 dp for all my games at the moment as it provides suppport for older games using compatibility tools that win 7 will not run at all. i have received an invitation from microsoft to participate in the beta test for microsoft Flight which i will run on win 8 dp as well. here's a link if you are interested, just click on the news tab:

http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/

Saturday, December 10, 2011 2:16 AM
  • I'm hoping that by the time Windows 8 comes out, that Valve's 'big picture' mode comes out.  What works well on a TV also tends to work well on a touchscreen tablet (see Windows Media Center for an example).  I'd hate to be in Metro, and then go to the tiny selections in the current version of the Steam client.
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 5:31 PM
  • Got Steam working ok.

1 thing surprised me Quake 4 runs in Windows 8 Dev pre with out any problems, I couldn't get it to work in Windows 7.

Sunday, December 11, 2011 1:23 AM