none
COM Interop Error loading type library/DLL TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY error in Vista but not XP RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a .NET executable that is using a COM assembly that is located on a servers shared drive but am  having problems getting it to work on a number of machines. I have made sure to register the COM assembly using regsvr32 and doing that it works on the computer that I developed it on.

From there I brought it over to a Windows XP computer where it didn't work. I received an error message saying "Error loading type library/DLL ... (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)", which was in reference to the COM assembly. After some trouble shooting I found that if I granted the executable FullTrust in the .NET security model the .NET executable was able to load the assembly and everything worked properly.

From there I brought the executable to a Windows Vista computer, registered the COM assembly using regsvr32 and granted the .NET executable FullTrust in .NET but it doesn't work. I get the same error saying "Error loading type library/DLL ... (TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY)".

Any idea why the same steps would work in XP but not in Vista? Am I missing something obvious? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:12 AM

Answers

• Hi DanKing,
    This forum is for software developers who are using the Open Protocol Specification documentation to assist them in developing systems, services, and applications that are interoperable with Windows. The Open Protocol Specifications can be found at: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc203350(PROT.10).aspx. Since your post does not appear to be related to the Open Protocol Specification documentation set we would appreciate it if you could try to post your question in a more relevant forum.

There are a few threads in this forum that mention the same TYPE_E_CANTLOADLIBRARY error that you are seeing.

Common Language Runtime

Thank you.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | US-CSS DSC Protocols Team
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:21 PM