none
SPI driver in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I would need to write a SPI driver for Windows 7 to access my device. There are no existing SPI driver for my platform. 

Is the SPI driver sample available?  do I need to write a SPI driver from scratch? If so, how to write this driver.

Thanks in advance.

Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:06 PM

Answers

• SPI is not supported by Microsoft for Win7, so you would have to write your own. No, the sources to the class driver are not available. You don't have to implement Microsoft's class driver, but even so, it would be a lot of work and require detailed knowledge of the device, the controller, and WDF.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:50 PM

All replies

• SPI is not supported by Microsoft for Win7, so you would have to write your own. No, the sources to the class driver are not available. You don't have to implement Microsoft's class driver, but even so, it would be a lot of work and require detailed knowledge of the device, the controller, and WDF.

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Sunday, October 18, 2015 5:50 PM
  • Hi Doron and Pavel,

Thanks for your response.

The FPGA is connected to processor through SPI and i would need to write a SPI driver to communicate with FPGA. I have a sample code from processor manufacturer which is a application using outportl calls. 

Can I write a driver based on this application to read/write the data from FPGA?

If so, it looks like normal ISA driver, right?

Thanks in Advance.

Monday, October 19, 2015 5:25 PM
  • What type of system is this? Does it have an SoC (System on Chip) CPU like a tablet or phone? Is there more than one device on the SPI? Does the device generate an interrupt? If so, how is it routed to the CPU? You'll need to answer these questions before we can help you

-Brian

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:38 AM