Disappointed with Blend Ultimate end of life announcement RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased Blend Ultimate with the expectation that this technology path was going to have a bright future.  Microsoft hyped the product and associated technologies in a BIG way.  I can say that there wasn't even the slightest indication that Blend+Sketchflow+Design were in the process of being shelved.

Given the resources and range of people involved with these initiatives it is obvious that some Microsoft insiders are probably even more bewildered by what has transpired.  Had I know that WPF+Silverlight development only had a future inside of Visual Studio, I could have paid a slightly higher fee for Visual Studio and least would have had an upgrade path.

I like the products that Microsoft produces, but more than ever, betting on Microsoft product initiatives seems like a losing proposition.

It's all very very confused from an outsiders perspective.  Please consider allowing the poor slugs that bet on Blend Ultimate to upgrade to some variation of Visual Studio.  At least that would make us feel like we have a path forward with Microsoft tech.

Monday, February 11, 2013 12:15 AM

All replies

• Check out this announcement:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/bharry/archive/2013/01/30/announcing-visual-studio-2012-update-2-vs2012-2.aspx

The update preview includes support for wpf/SL/SketchFlow.

Monday, February 11, 2013 3:31 AM
  • Unfortunately, there does not appear to be an upgrade path for Blend Ultimate users to acquire VS2012.  It would be prudent for Microsoft to make such an upgrade possible.  A lot of good faith was invested in Blend+Silverlight+WPF+Sketchflow within the Microsoft development community.

Without an upgrade path forward, one tends to feel orphaned and disillusioned.

Previously, Microsoft has been very good at retaining developer loyalty.  Please consider making a Blend Ultimate license upgradable.  Making the entire toolchain free makes purchasers of this product group look dumb to their boss's ... and shy to invest again.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:03 AM