none
Visual Studio 2015 - all build related tasks (clean, build, rebuild) fail for all projects, same projects build fine on command line.

Question

• Hi,

I would very much appreciate any help I can get as I've tried everything short of wiping the drive and reinstalling windows on my development machine.

I tried removing Python Tools for VS as the issue occurred after I installed that add-on. The removal changed nothing. I tried a repair install and I'm not sure what else I can try. Most likely there is some setting somewhere that makes my VS2015 to fail every single build operation. Regardless of what it is or on which project it is run I get very similar output:

Every build related task ends with the same output:

1>------ Build started: Project: ConsoleApplication1, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Clean:

1>------ Clean started: Project: ConsoleApplication1, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    ========== Clean: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========

This is for a new console app project (as well as any other existing project and solution I tried) that contains simple hello world acting as a build test. The same project builds fine using MSBuild on the command line.

The same project opened in Visual Studio 2013 builds and runs fine with typical output shown below:

1>------ Build started: Project: ConsoleApplication1, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
    1>  ConsoleApplication1 -> C:\shared\temp\test2\ConsoleApplication1\ConsoleApplication1\bin\Debug\ConsoleApplication1.exe
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

In Tools->Options->Projects and Solutions->MSBuild I already have Diagnostic output from MSBuild selected, but I still get nothing else than the output shown.

If I try to build the same project on command line with MSBuild command prompt for VS2015 it works fine with the command below:

MSBuild.exe C:\shared\temp\test2\ConsoleApplication1\ConsoleApplication1\ConsoleApplication1.csproj /verbosity:d

Additional piece of info. If I put intentional typos in the code the build output is exactly the same.  No errors, just build failed.

Wednesday, June 08, 2016 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Luk Ols ,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>Most likely there is some setting somewhere that makes my VS2015 to fail every single build operation.

From your description, I agree with you that the cause is installing the Python Tools for add-in and it could change some VS settings,

Then when VS compile the project command line, the build fails.

Since the repair doesn’t work, you may try to restart Windows and in safe mode, run devenv /safemode in Visual Studio 2015 Command Prompt.

If in safe mode this issue disappeared, the cause should be third-party applications, services or Visual Studio Add-ins.

Please also try devenv /resetsettings or devenv /setup in Command Prompt.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, June 09, 2016 7:20 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for replying and your suggestions. Unfortunately none of them worked.

In the safe mode the build and other build related functions (such as clean) fail exactly the same as when running normally. 

I've tried /resetsettings, but it also didn't change anything. However, devenv /setup didn't work at all. It either does nothing or comes up with a window saying "The operation cannot be completed".

Still, the strangest here is that command line MSBuild usage works with no issue...

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

Regards,

L

Friday, June 10, 2016 9:55 AM
  • Hi L,

If all the project fails at VS 2015, I suspect the root cause is your VS, also, the repair didn't work.

In this time, I suggest you uninstall this VS and re-install it again, you could install the VS 2015 update 2。

VS 2015 with Update 2 iso Microsoft official download link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

VS 2015 with Update 2 iso files SHA-1 Values link:

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-iso-sha1-vs.aspx

PS: To make sure whether your package is corrupted or not,

please use FCIV.exe http://support.microsoft.com/kb/841290  to verify hash of the ISO.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, June 13, 2016 7:58 AM
  • I have this same problem. I have tried installing VS 2015 with update 3 from both the web installer and downloaded iso, and even going back to update 2. I have restarted, rebooted, etc., etc. but nothing works. And it is just a straight download-install with no add-ins. I do have VS 2012 installed, but I am not prepared to uninstall that.

Like the original poster the build works fine from the command line but clean/build/rebuild do not work from inside VS.

If you have anything further to suggest I would be happy to hear it!

Thanks.

(Edit: Forgot to note that I have also tried Safe Mode with the same result)
    • Edited by RKyllo Thursday, October 06, 2016 4:27 PM
    Wednesday, October 05, 2016 8:33 PM
  • Hi RKyllo,

For your question, although the situation is similar as Luk's, but there are many causes which could lead to this.

You may post a new thread in Visual Studio Development Visual Studio Setup and Installation  forum, and describe more detailed of your steps of your issue, we will also try to help you analyze this.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Thursday, October 20, 2016 1:12 AM