locked
Windows App Cert Kit fails on Blank App (XAML) (VS2012RC US on Win8RP FR)

    Question

  • Hi,

    My Metro App failed to pass the WACK with a lot of strange errors. The xml/html report being so useless, I tried the following:

    1/ I created a Blank C++ XAML App,

    2/ I set the build configuration to Release,

    3/ I right-clicked the project, choose "Store->Create App Package...", choose x86 Release and let the WACK tool runs.

    I got about the same strange errors I got earlier with my own app:

    => Hangs & bugs Tests : Both Succeeded,

    => Manifest Test : Failed. THAT is normal,

    => Security Test : Succeeded,

    => Metro API Test : Failed. No explanation or infos to find out why :( And no, the application wasn't compiled in Debug mode,

    => Performance Test (Bytecode gen) : Failed. I got a powerful PC I wasn't even using during the test. How can this test fails on a 2 pages sample ? Btw the result complains about Javascript performances while there is not a single line of script in the 2 XAML files of the project and no .js file either.
    The 2 others performances tests passed (startup and interruption),
    => Resources Manifest Test : Failed. This time with one explanation (sadly in French) roughtly translated as "Test execution has been blocked. Try again. If it fails again, contact the technical support". Great.

    => Debugging Configuration Test : Failed. Again, no explanation.

    => File Coding Test : Failed. UTF-8 in .css, .js or .html being the explanation. Problem, there is not a single .css, .html or .js file in this C++ sample.

    I am using Visual Studio Professional 2012 RC (US, v11.0.50522.1 RCREL) on Windows 8 Release Preview (FR). I installed the French version of Windows to check the French Store, but being well aware that non-US developper tools are even more bugged than the US ones, I installed the US version of Visual Studio Pro.

    Does anybody has any clue about this mess? I really don't know what to do at the moment?

    Thank you,
    Jean-Edouard.

    Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:23 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    I found the problem.

    Most of the WACK tests systematically failed on my computer because the Te.Service was set to Manual (I found an error deep inside the Fileencoding check result stating that it wasn't able to start this service).

    After manual starting the service in services.msc, both the sample and my App succeeded to pass the WACK tests.
    Cheers !

    P.S. : MS, Please pass this information along to the WACK developpers. It's not normal that a failure to start a service wasn't reported on the result itself.

    • Marked as answer by iamnotwired Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:44 AM
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:44 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    I found the problem.

    Most of the WACK tests systematically failed on my computer because the Te.Service was set to Manual (I found an error deep inside the Fileencoding check result stating that it wasn't able to start this service).

    After manual starting the service in services.msc, both the sample and my App succeeded to pass the WACK tests.
    Cheers !

    P.S. : MS, Please pass this information along to the WACK developpers. It's not normal that a failure to start a service wasn't reported on the result itself.

    • Marked as answer by iamnotwired Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:44 AM
    Sunday, June 24, 2012 7:44 AM
  • Hello,

    Thanks for sharing the solution.

    Maybe you can try to use Windows App Certification Kit from the command line to catch error.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh694081.aspx

    Best regards,
    Jesse


    Jesse Jiang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

    Monday, June 25, 2012 6:08 AM