ASP.NET newbie - Hosting options (in an application?), Server 2008 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am the developer of a trading application that consists of:

1) a server application on a Windows Server 2008 machine.  this server application manages and hosts several
    2) client applications that all run remotely, and communicate with the server via TCP

I would like the ability to access a "web version" of the client application -- meaning, the users can access a watered-down web-based application from anywhere in the world that implements the key functionality that the standalone client applications perform.

I am very new to ASP.NET (but have been using .NET for some time), but it appears from my initial research I will need to create one or more ASP.NET web services and host these on my Server 2008 machine . What I'm wondering, though, is if there would be any way to host these services within my existing server application.  In other words, the server application is the brains of the operation, ensures that data is delivered to the clients in the proper order, and generally manages everything from the book-keeping operations to the market-data dissemination to each client.

Most examples of "web services" I've found on the web are very primitive -- a counter for instance.  I'm having a difficult time picturing what a standalone web service would look like if it has to cooperate with my server application, and I'm hoping there is rather a way to host the service(s) within the server application itself, as opposed to creating a .asmx file that IIS will interpret as a web service.

Or, in my case of a complex server-side application, are web services not the way to go?

Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter.

Rick

• Edited by slikrik Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:46 PM misspelled "case" (cause)
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:45 PM

Answers

• You should look at WCF, which is the web services technology that should be used for all new development. Among other things, it gives almost complete freedom in terms of hosting.

On the other hand, the older ASMX web service technology can only be hosted by IIS in a production environment.
    John Saunders | Use File->New Project to create Web Service Projects
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 10:05 PM