none
Are datasets being phased out? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi All

I'm fairly sure that just after the Entity Framework first appeared I read somewhere that datasets were being phased out to be replaced by the Entity Framework (EF).

Try as I might, though, I can't find any such reference now.

Can anyone please advise on this?

I'm not sure whether our dev team needs to start learning to use the EF as a priority (our training time and resources are extremely limited).

Certainly, given the number of glitches I've been getting in VS10 with datasets being corrupted, I'm starting to suspect that they may be being phased out by the back door!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Niki

Niki
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:22 PM

All replies

• Entity Framework competes more with nHibernate, less with typed datasets. Your choice would depends on the level of abstraction you need. The more abstraction, the less control you have. For example, you cannot add SQL Server table hint to Entity Framework generated queries but you can do it freely in typed datasets. Also you have hidden queries when you access lazy-loading Entity Framework navigating properties that you may not want in a disconnected scenario.

Of course you can choose to use both against your db depending on the type of query.

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:46 PM
  • Certainly, given the number of glitches I've been getting in VS10 with datasets being corrupted, I'm starting to suspect that they may be being phased out by the back door!

I'm wondering what you mean by corrupted datasets?!?! I've never heard of (nor encountered) such a thing and I've been using datasets for almost 10 years now! I'm assuming you mean the TableAdapter piece of it, which really has nothing to do with the Typed DataSet itself. I don't use TableAdapters ... I prefer to have total control by utilizing my own DataAccess. I know you didn't ask this question, but you *can* create a Typed DataSet without TableAdapters. If you're interested, I'll post a link to my blog post.

As for EF ... I haven't used it, so I can't comment on that.

I don't really know what Microsoft's intention is with DataSets either. You hear rumors, but you never know ....

~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 4:42 PM
  • Hi Bonnie

Glad to hear I'm not the only one hearing the rumours!

And yes, you are correct, it is the TableAdapters that Visual Studio 10 keeps corrupting. I've been using datasets for the last 10 years also, and VS10 is the first to do this.

Brilliant blog by the way :)

Niki

P.S. I'll leqave this open for a day or two in case someone picks it up who has an inner track, otherwise I'll mark you as the answerer for at least confirming I'm not alone in my suspicions!

Niki
    Monday, November 14, 2011 10:15 AM
  • Thanks Niki ... I guess you found my blog posts about TableAdapters and creating XSDs without filling them full of TableAdapter junk?
    ~~Bonnie Berent [C# MVP]

geek-goddess-bonnie.blogspot.com
    Monday, November 14, 2011 3:24 PM