none
LIMITs on MIRROR with SQL Server SE RRS feed

• Question

• Hi folks. I'm trying to clear up some licensing confusion I"ve come across. First, if I use MIRROR on SS SE I am limited to a single REDO thread and Sycn mode. I see that on the Web. Will the singel REDO thread hurt the ability for the Secondary to keep up? Any one done any tests?

My confusion comes from a document that came across my desk a long time ago that showed that if you use MIRROR on SQL Server SE you are limited to 4 processors for the entire cluster. So if you wanted a balanced failover you would have to have two 2-ways in essence. Is this true? Is it not longer true? I can't seem to find any mention of this....did someone give me bad advice? Help! Thanks.

Monday, July 2, 2007 12:41 PM

All replies

• Licensing will not hurt any performance, only the number of transactions will have the recovery of REDO and UNDO process during the recovery.

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:14 PM
  • In standard edition you wont get parallel redo and database snapshots features in the case of database mirroring.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:33 AM
  • I'm not sure I can agree with this - in SAFETY ON mode since it's synchronous, how fast you can work through the redo on the other side means how fast I get a commit back to the client, no? So I kind of fee licening wil hurt it -- my assumption is MIRROR is always doing recovery, no?

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:15 PM
  • Thanks for the reply -- any reason why they don't call that out in the SS08 comparison charts as they did in SS05?

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:16 PM