none
MSMQ-Server - Is it supported? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to configure MSMQ-Server. Using Install-WindowsFeature I'm getting Invalid Operation. Is there a workaround? If not, will it be for RTM?

PS C:\> Install-WindowsFeature MSMQ-Server
    Install-WindowsFeature : The request to add or remove features on the specified server failed.
    Installation of one or more roles, role services, or features failed. Error: 0x800f0922
    At line:1 char:1
    + Install-WindowsFeature MSMQ-Server
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (@{Vhd=; Credent...Name=localhost}:PSObject) [Install-WindowsFeature],
        Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DISMAPI_Error__Failed_To_Enable_Updates,Microsoft.Windows.ServerManager.Commands.AddWindowsFeatureCommand

Success Restart Needed Exit Code      Feature Result
    ------- -------------- ---------      --------------
    False   No             Failed         {}

Monday, July 25, 2016 12:38 AM

All replies

• I have used quite lot of time to try figure out this one because I have big need for MSMQ.

I found that dism works better than Add-WindowsFeature inside of container.
    Using these commands I was able to install MSMQ and MSMQ-Services features:

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:MSMQ /NoRestart
    dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:MSMQ-Services /NoRestart

But issue with MSMQ-Server looks to be that it needs restart.
    If you run this one twice (sometimes even more tries are needed) you can get MSMQ "installed"

dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:MSMQ-Server /NoRestart

but it says that restart is needed and that is because there is C:\Windows\WinSxs\pending.xml -file.

If you stop and restart container it will remove C:\Windows\WinSxs\pending.xml -file but does not install MSMQ-Server role.

So for me this looks that currently it is not possible to install any features which needs restart to container.

Monday, August 1, 2016 9:33 AM
  • Hi everyone,

MSMQ currently is not supported in Containers. So far we haven't heard any requests for MSMQ in Containers (until I came across this forum post), but if there are many of you out there interested then we can look into this.

Would you mind posting this on user voice https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/304624-containers?

I'm also interested on how you plan to use MSMQ in Container. E.g. do you need transactions? Is everything local (writing/reading to the Queue within the same container) or you need queue transfer across containers. MSMQ is a pretty big feature so we'd like to understand the usage pattern of how our customers plan to use it in a container.

thanks!

David.

Thursday, August 11, 2016 11:31 PM
  • Is there any news about when we can be expecting to have msmq up in containers. It seems to be the second most popular vote on https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/304624-containers

This is reallly all that is preventing me from using docker for now.

Monday, February 27, 2017 11:40 AM

• So far we haven't heard any requests for MSMQ in Containers (until I came across this forum post), but if there are many of you out there interested then we can look into this.

Actually, this is now the most requested feature on uservoice to improve Containers in Windows Server:
    https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/forums/304624-containers/filters/top

Sunday, May 14, 2017 1:57 PM
  • Hi everyone,

We are indeed keeping an eye on UserVoice.  We know this is important to you, and we are looking at how to make it happen.

We've been looking into installing programs that require a restart for some time now and improving that experience.  For a variety of reasons, this is just hard to do in containers.

I'll keep you posted and come back with an update this week.

Monday, May 15, 2017 5:27 PM
  • Any updates yet? The lack of MSMQ support in Windows Containers is a huge blocker in the current project my team and I are on.
    Thursday, May 25, 2017 3:29 PM
  • Hi folks,

Sorry for the delay, been following up with the MSMQ team.

Thanks for the suggestions, we really do appreciate and listen to the ideas.

That doesn't mean that we can always deliver what you ask for, and this is one of those cases.  We'd all love to have an MSMQ container image that works well, but we just don't think that's feasible.  MSMQ relies on a number of old technologies with assumptions that break badly in containers.  I know this is a disappointing answer, but the basic reality is MSMQ was designed for different scenarios.

Clemens wrote a deeper explanation a few years ago.

We're looking into solid alternatives for you - we know MSMQ has served you well for a long time.  Specifically, Azure Messaging and Windows Server teams will provide more details when they find something they like.  In the meantime, if you are looking for alternatives right at this second, we strongly suggest an option that supports the ISO/IEC standard AMQP 1.0 protocol.  For example, the Apache Foundation's message brokers do.

We want to help, but an MSMQ container image isn't the way we can help.  If you think we're misunderstanding what you're asking for, let us know any time.

For a start, what are you currently using MSMQ for and how do you imagin an MSMQ container image would help?

Friday, May 26, 2017 9:22 PM