Linq and Oracle, RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just tried to add some oracle tables to the object relational designer only to receive the message that the driver is not supported. Will we have support in the Orcas release?

Is oracle committed to supporting Linq?

They are always doing things at snails pace with java obsession. Makes me very frustrated.

Regards

Craig

Sunday, May 20, 2007 1:04 PM

Answers

• No, LINQ to SQL is SQL Server only, at least in Orcas time frame. Instead you should look at ADO.NET Entity Framework, there is a sibling forum out here (it isn't clear whether it'll support Oracle out of the box but extensibility is there...)
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:11 PM
  • Craig,

We are currently engaged with many .NET provider writers, including Oracle and DataDirect, to help them develop the next generation of providers to support LINQ to Entities through the Entity Framework.  In fact, both Oracle and DataDirect will be speaking at a chalk talk session at Tech Ed on the provider model and integration with third party databases.

I hope this information proves helpful.

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:17 PM
  • It's worth noting that Devart (formerly Core Labs) has released their OraDirect.NET provider, which includes Entity Framework so you can access your Oracle databases via LINQ, Entity SQL and ADO.NET Data Services.  For more information, see the ADO.NET team's blog post on the topic.

David Sceppa

Program Manager - ADO.NET

Monday, October 20, 2008 8:31 PM

All replies

• No, LINQ to SQL is SQL Server only, at least in Orcas time frame. Instead you should look at ADO.NET Entity Framework, there is a sibling forum out here (it isn't clear whether it'll support Oracle out of the box but extensibility is there...)
    Sunday, May 20, 2007 8:11 PM
  • Hi,

In my opinion this is just typical of Oracle.

I guess we will be using Linq over DataSet for all our Oracle access which will end up being much slower and more cumbersome than our equivalent SQL server access. The migration path is pretty clear to me. Our big production systems are on Oracle (sadly), but our new stuff definitely leans to SQL Server.

Thanks for your kind assistance.

Regards

Craig

Monday, May 21, 2007 7:33 AM
  • Hi Craig,

Just to make it clear: Entity Framework is more or less superset of LINQ to SQL and I don't doubt that there will be Oracle support (by Microsoft or by Oracle or by some 3rd party).  The problem with EF is that it is unclear what exactly will it be like and when it will be delivered.

Note also that there are a lot of 3rd party ORM products out there that let you do even more (without LINQ keywords though) even now.

Monday, May 21, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Hi,

I am aware of a lot of the other products out there, and have used a number of them.

They all have a lot of drawbacks that linq does not have. It is very very clear to me that Anders and his team have thought this through. This is perhaps a good opportunity for me to state my thoughts. The C# team were clearly very distinctly aware of the drawbacks of many other ORM products. Add to that their unique position in being able to shape the language primitives. They really applied their minds, and it shows. I doubt its perfect, but darn its beautiful. Its elegant, stylish and simple - three cheers!

For any vendor (Oracle) to drag their heels in the face of this kind of innovation deserve to loose customers in my opinion.

I know that Oracle will eventually catch up. If not, then DataDirect will catch up for them, I am not blessed with an abundance of patience.

Thanks for the help.

Regards

Craig

Monday, May 21, 2007 8:41 AM
  • Craig,

We are currently engaged with many .NET provider writers, including Oracle and DataDirect, to help them develop the next generation of providers to support LINQ to Entities through the Entity Framework.  In fact, both Oracle and DataDirect will be speaking at a chalk talk session at Tech Ed on the provider model and integration with third party databases.

Monday, May 21, 2007 6:17 PM
  • David,

I was at Tech Ed but missed the chalk talk. Is there a webcast or podcast of it available?

Thanks,

Mike

Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:47 PM
  • The provider writer chalk talk was not recorded in a WebCast or PodCast format, but here's a link to a blog post about the chalk talk.  Oracle, IBM, DataDirect, Sybase and VistaDB were all in attendance and spoke briefly about their involvement.  IBM even demonstrated an early build of their provider working with the 101 LINQ to Entities samples.

Friday, June 15, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Craig,

Oracle is working on a Linq provider.
    Until the offical provider comes out, you can use my DB_Linq project to work with Oracle:

code2code.net/DB_Linq

Good luck, Jiri

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 5:52 PM
  • Do you have any updates on linq support for Oracle?

Thursday, January 31, 2008 2:50 PM
  • Oracle has not made anny announcements regarding LINQ or the ADO.NET Entity Framework.  When they do make an announcement, I'll link to it from my blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/sceppa) and from the ADO.NET team blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/adonet).

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:14 PM
  • Thanks for the update.

Friday, February 1, 2008 4:46 PM
  • Corelab supports the ado.net entity framework for Oracle:

<qoute> OraDirect .NET fully supports the Entity Framework capabilities, which allows you to base your object-oriented applications on Oracle. OraDirect .NET includes a wizard that helps you setup model relations, and a set of demos to use as a starting point. All standard Entity Framework samples can be easily ported to OraDirect .NET. </qoute>

See http://crlab.com/oranet/ 

Sunday, February 3, 2008 1:44 PM
  • Hi Craig,

I work for Mindscape and we build a 3rd party domain modeling framework that supports Oracle with complete LINQ support called LightSpeed (http://www.mindscape.co.nz/products/LightSpeed/). It's free for small databases so there is no cost in trying it out.

We also ship a very rich domain modeling designer for Visual Studio 2008 which includes features like full schema round tripping meaning that you can update your database schema (be it any of the 7 databases we support) when you make code changes or, in reverse, update your code when your database schema changes. This is included in the free version as well.

I hope this helps,

John-Daniel Trask
    Thursday, July 17, 2008 8:15 AM
  • Hi John-Daniel,

I was also looking for a Linq To Oracle implementation.

I am now in the process of trying out LightSpeed 2.1. I am trying to map an Oracle 9 database by dragging tables from the explorer into the lightspeed designer.

Now I am getting an error when dragging certain tables on which I can't seem to grasp why they don't want to. The error is:

Exception while processing Server Explorer drag: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at Mindscape.LightSpeed.Generator.Integration.EntityConverter.CopyRelationships(EntityModel generatorEntity, Entity entity)

at Mindscape.LightSpeed.Generator.Integration.EntityConverter.PopulateEntities()

at Mindscape.LightSpeed.Generator.Integration.EntityBuilder.AddTablesToModel(Model model, IDbConnection connection, IEnumerable`1 tableNames, IGenerationLog log)

at Mindscape.LightSpeed.Generator.Integration.LightSpeedModelDiagram.<>c__DisplayClass4.<OnDragDrop>b__3(DragObject dragObject, IGenerationLog log)

at Mindscape.LightSpeed.Generator.Integration.ServerExplorer.IfIsServerExplorerDrag(DragEventArgs e, DragAction action)

Any ideas?

I hope I get this working because I really need a working Linq to Oracle implementation for several reasons.

Friday, October 17, 2008 2:05 PM
  • Hello Robosoft,

I have picked up this issue in the LightSpeed support forums (http://www.mindscape.co.nz/forums/Thread.aspx?ThreadID=1424) -- if you can provide us with some additional info as described there, I will look into this and get you a fix.

Cheers,
    Ivan
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 10:29 PM
  • It's worth noting that Devart (formerly Core Labs) has released their OraDirect.NET provider, which includes Entity Framework so you can access your Oracle databases via LINQ, Entity SQL and ADO.NET Data Services.  For more information, see the ADO.NET team's blog post on the topic.

David Sceppa

Program Manager - ADO.NET

Monday, October 20, 2008 8:31 PM
  • Hi,

there is also an open source project named DbLinq:
    - amongst others, it supports Oracle
    - API is similar to Linq to SQL.

Pascal.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:15 AM
  • Why not try ALinq ?  The BEST Database LINQ provider. http://www.alinq.org
    Monday, July 20, 2009 10:29 AM