MS Access reliability for light usage RRS feed

• Question

• User-228050481 posted

The app is a small .exe to be installed in multiple machines. Each will access the db to get/update a field in a table and should be less than 1000 calls to it per day. I'm concern about the "locking" error message that I sometimes encounter (rarely) when running the program. Maybe increasing the default timeout would make it wait longer until the db is no longer locked?

Monday, December 6, 2010 11:52 AM

Answers

• User-359936451 posted

The real question is how many machines. I can tell you this, I have used Access in many applications, not exe's though, simply shared DB's and it has performed great. Typically with about 5 machines. I believe that MS reports that up to 25 computers is feasible. I don't believe I have ever had more than 10 or 15 nodes and I can report that it was not even close to a problem provided the network back bone is stable.

I have seen issues over wireless networks with encryption, but hardwired LAN's have never shown a single issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 1:13 PM

All replies

• User-359936451 posted

The real question is how many machines. I can tell you this, I have used Access in many applications, not exe's though, simply shared DB's and it has performed great. Typically with about 5 machines. I believe that MS reports that up to 25 computers is feasible. I don't believe I have ever had more than 10 or 15 nodes and I can report that it was not even close to a problem provided the network back bone is stable.

I have seen issues over wireless networks with encryption, but hardwired LAN's have never shown a single issue.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 1:13 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

These forums are inteded for ASP.NET (web) related questions only. Please ask this question on another forum.... 

Monday, December 6, 2010 2:45 PM