VS 2011 does not allow me to change Live account for Development

Question

• Saturday last week my Hotmail account was hacked and on Monday Microsoft "Blocked" the account.

Unfortunately that account was connected to LOTS of MS services (BizSpark, Azure, Windows Phone Marketplace, Parental Family settings, Xbox live and many more) and it was associated with my Windows 8 Domain account that I was using to develop for Metro.

Trying to "Disconnect" the account in the "Account Manager" failed and Visual Studio does not allow me to select a different Live account for the "Developers License".

Does anybody know how to remove/disconnect the Live account from a DOMAIN account? I already tried to delete the user profile of my machine (which was not a roaming profile) but the association is still there. Something must be done on the domain controller/active directory but I could not find any reference to this anywhere.

Any help is very appreciated!

Chris

Thursday, April 12, 2012 1:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

The developer license is per-machine, so you should be able to request it from a different account. In PowerShell use Unregister-WindowsDeveloperLicense to revoke the license, then log in as a different user and in PowerShell use Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration to get a new one.

This thread describes how to get the prompt to occur by disconnecting the account, but it won't help until you get that sorted out. You'll probably find the best help on disassociating the Live account from the domain account please in the Windows 8 section on http://answers.microsoft.com or in the Windows 8 IT Pro TechNet forums.

Hope you can get this all cleaned up soon!

--Rob

Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:29 AM
    Owner