none
How to convert UML project's diagram into ADO.net entity model edmx RRS feed

• Question

• if drawing a UML project's diagram, will i need to draw ADO.net entity model a edmx file?

How to convert UML project's diagram into ADO.net entity model edmx?

Hello
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 9:15 AM

Answers

• The best way to think of these two tools, is that UML Class diagrams are general purpose modeling language, and the EDMX designer is a domain specific designer in this case for ADO.NET Entity Framework models. 

I hope this helps,
    Mark

Mark Groves | Program Manager | Visual Studio
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:57 PM

All replies

• Hello,

There is not currently a direct way to transform a UML Class Diagram into a EDMX model.  You could use the Code Generation abilities in the UML Class diagram, but depending on your goals, it will be easier to use the Entity Designer. 

Thanks,

Mark

Monday, May 16, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Hi Marskovski,

I'm not sure what you mean by "will I need to draw ADO.NET entity model", but if you want to use UML with other models, you might review the UML extensibility capabilities to see whether they can meet your needs: How to: Integrate UML Models with Other Models and Tools

Esther Fan | Visual Studio, Content Lead | If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and mark as Helpful. Thanks!
    Monday, May 16, 2011 5:47 PM
  • I want to try to learn and use both, but they look similar, i think that i can only choose one of them. And i have a question about which one will become popular and being the main stream in future
    Hello
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:55 AM
  • The best way to think of these two tools, is that UML Class diagrams are general purpose modeling language, and the EDMX designer is a domain specific designer in this case for ADO.NET Entity Framework models. 

I hope this helps,
    Mark

Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:57 PM
  • I don't think that should be an answer. custom always is right. We fllow MS, because google no good enough.

Microsoft should rethink their advantage.

I am not just complain , i Just talk about the custom's desire.

Thank about: if I like to coding , why i choose microsoft? why ?

Node.js is good enough.

but stupid google does not give a good enough IDE for developer. What i want just  to develop a product , it can run on all device and mobile. I don care what mvc ,c# or node.js. i dont care.

What i care just two thinks: graph dev process(no doc). and never decay code.

Use MS IDE, quick , clearly, Because , code always will decay. Even you like working on the code before ten years? I dont.

So , what we want , MS should rebond all their tools. like 15s years age you rebond compiler and debugger to Visual studio.

And give user's wants.

For example , if i want gen a form from SQL server table , eg. student , it have a  field ,age ,

In form: there

should be three (at least) property : machine name (age) , short name , desc.

but ,there just have 2 property in sql server database(name and desc).

Ok,EDMX does no allow user externtion his property conventionally. That 's problem.

I have said more enough. I hope google do more fast than microsoft.  10 years , MS does support even one complete tools. no .

• Edited by haoyujie Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:46 AM correct
    Wednesday, April 2, 2014 5:33 AM
  • Hi Haoyujie,

I'm sorry, but I'd like to clarify your comments in context of the original question. 

I believe the customer asked if they can convert UML to EDMX. The response was that UML is for generic modeling, while EDMX is specifically for ADO.NET Entity Framework modeling. So, if the customer had to ultimately work with ADO.NET, then it would be easier to use EDMX. Otherwise, they'd have to generate code from UML and then use that with EDMX.

It sounds like you're saying that EDMX is limited because you can't extend certain things, it's language-specific, and because code decays, it's hard to keep code and models updated with each other. That developers just want model their code and then go use whatever language they want. Is that correct?

Esther Fan | Visual Studio | If a post answers your question, please mark it as the answer. Thanks!

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 6:08 PM