none
Prevent users from acceing the C drive RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Currently i am testing with profile contrainers from FSLogix. With the profile container we dont need folder redirection anymore thus the documents are now on the C drive. Because of this the user needs access to the C drive therefore i had to disable the following GPO; Prevents users from using My Computer to gain access to the content of selected drives.

the only problem now is that a user can create a shortcut to c:\ and browse through the whole C drive. On a RDS this is not desirable. 

How do you guys handle this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Jeroen

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 9:05 AM

Answers

• The only way we could think of to solve this was to add another drive and set that as the default location for new profiles

Modify the registry value of ProfilesDirectory under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList to point to your new directory.

You can then hide the C: Drive and new users will be able to browse this alternative drive for their profiles.

Test thoroughly though, some badly written software will assume c: drive location for profiles.

Saturday, July 13, 2019 10:06 AM

All replies

• Hello Jeroen,

FSLogix can't prevent all access to the C:\ drive.

You would have to set permissions on the drive to prevent user access.

Alternatively, you can go back to using GPO Folder Redirection, but that only redirects the specified folders.

- Micah Adamson

See also: FSLogix Folder Redirection

Tuesday, July 9, 2019 4:39 PM
    Owner
  • The only way we could think of to solve this was to add another drive and set that as the default location for new profiles

Modify the registry value of ProfilesDirectory under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList to point to your new directory.

You can then hide the C: Drive and new users will be able to browse this alternative drive for their profiles.

Test thoroughly though, some badly written software will assume c: drive location for profiles.

Saturday, July 13, 2019 10:06 AM