none
How can I tell if there is a Kinect 2.0 sensor attached? C# RRS feed

• Question

• I know there were several ways to do this in the old SDKs, versions 1.5 - 1.8, but how can you do it in 2.0? I've searched through a tonne of forums to try to find this answer as well as combing through the Kinect 2.0 API. I don't want to have to resort to going through System.Management to grab all devices connected to USB ports so if there is any light you can shine on this problem I would be very appreciative!
    • Moved by Kristin Xie Friday, February 6, 2015 7:54 AM move to appropriate forum
    Thursday, February 5, 2015 3:18 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Your case related to Kinect 2.0. So i moved your thread to Kinect for Windows v2 SDK forum.

As it is discuss dedicated to programming with the Kinect for Windows v2 SDK and related computer vision topics.

Best regards,

Kristin

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, February 6, 2015 7:56 AM
  • KinectSensor class has an "isAvailable" property though it doesn't really tell you if the sensor is attached only if it could be used. Is it important for you to dintiguish between "attached but unavailable" and "just unavailable"? I suppose that if it is, that property doesn't work for you.
    Friday, February 6, 2015 5:14 PM
  • Just to elaborate a bit more. isAvailable is the property to determine if there is a sensor that can provide data to your application. The SDK is designed to always run regardless if there is a sensor attached or not, since this was a big pain point in v1, where a lot of boiler plate code was needed to managed the sensor states(KinectSensorChooser).

If a sensor.isAvaiable and you are not getting frames at 30fps(use relativeTimeStamps and the fact you are getting not getting frames in 1second) as a way of determining if something is wrong.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Friday, February 6, 2015 7:13 PM