Unable to load workflow actions from the server. Please contact your server administrator. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 6 servers in SharePoint Farm: 2WFE, 2 APP, and 2 DB.

I have just been setting up Workflow Manager v1 on all servers. Put on all except the 2 DB Servers

I created Workflow farm on WFE1 and then used Workflow manager to Connect to farm on WFE 2, APP 1, APP2. (running over HTTP)

I then ran the command on WFE

Register-SPWorkflowService -SPSite "http://<Web App>" -WorkflowHostUri "http://<WFE 1>:12291" -AllowOAuthHttp

I restarted all machines.

I see the "Workflow Service Application Proxy" in the Service Applications in CA and its status says it's "Workflow is Connected". However, I don't see the service itself "Workflow Service Application".

I went into SharePoint Designer 2013 on the WFE 1 server and tried to create a Workflow. The following message comes up:

Unable to load workflow actions from the server. Please contact your server administrator.

Can anyone help? Think it is to do with maybe the "Workflow Service Application" not appearing in Service Applications?

Thanks.

John.

Thursday, February 18, 2016 4:27 PM

Answers

• Hi John

From my experience, SP designer checks for site schema thoroughly including features, list etc. If something is missing, it fails with some generic message. Most of the time error message is pretty clear in ULS logs. So I will advise you to deploy this feature, if it is not there.

Thanks

Mohit

Friday, February 19, 2016 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi John

You need to create Workflow Service application by using configuration wizard within Central Administration first.

Thanks Mohit

Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:46 PM
  • Hi Mohit,

Did that and I have "Workflow Service Application" now. Clicked and says Workflow is Connected  and services both started. Restarted both web servers. Still the same issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

John.

Friday, February 19, 2016 11:14 AM
  • Hi John

It can be due to various reasons which are hard to explain. Can you check ULS logs while trying to reproduce this issue and let us know what is the error there?

Thanks

Mohit

• Edited by mohit.goyal Friday, February 19, 2016 1:34 PM
    Friday, February 19, 2016 1:33 PM
  • Sure:

[Forced due to logging gap, cached @ 02/19/2016 14:11:17.80, Original Level: Verbose] Entering Microsoft.SharePoint.

Failed on try1 to load XML document

at path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml': System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml'.   

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)   

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)   

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)   

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPXmlDocCache.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetGlobalXmlDocumentFullPath>b__0()

Failed on try2 to load XML document

at path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml': System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml'.   

at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath, Boolean checkHost)   

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)   

at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)   

at System.IO.File.OpenRead(String path)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPXmlDocCache.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetGlobalXmlDocumentFullPath>b__0()

at path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\13\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml': System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\13\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml'.   

at path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml': System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml'.   

Failed to find the XML file at location '15\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml'

SOAP exception: Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: Failed to find the XML file

at location '15\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml'   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPXmlDocCache.GetGlobalXmlDocument(String pathTemplateRelativeXml, SPFeatureDefinition featdef, Int32 compatibilityLevel)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFarmFeatureDefinitionContext.LoadFileAsXmlDocument(SPFeatureDefinition featdef, String featureRelativePath)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFeatureDefinition.EnsureGlobalDefinition()   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Administration.SPFeatureDefinition.GetElementDefinitions(CultureInfo ciElements)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.WebPartPagesWebService.GetWorkflowActionsFromFeatureElementsV4(UInt32 currentLcid, SPWeb contextWeb)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.WebPartPagesWebService.FetchLegalWorkflowActionsV4()

Exception occured in scope Microsoft.SharePoint.

WorkflowServices.WorkflowDeploymentService.GetDesignerActions. Exception=Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException: Exception of type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.SoapServerException' was thrown.     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SoapServer.WebPartPagesWebService.FetchLegalWorkflowActionsV4()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowServices.WorkflowDeploymentServiceServerStub.InvokeMethod(Object target, String methodName, XmlNodeList xmlargs, ProxyContext proxyContext, Boolean& isVoid)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerStub.InvokeMethodWithMonitoredScope(Object target, String methodName, XmlNodeList args, ProxyContext proxyContext, Boolean& isVoid)

Friday, February 19, 2016 2:19 PM
  • Hi John

This looks to be an error with feature deployed on the site you are trying to open:

Failed on try1 to load XML document at path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml': System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\15\Template\Features\IntranetHomepage_WeeklyWrapEventReceiver\feature.xml'.  

Either this feature does not exist or not properly deployed. Pls check in the same direction. 

Thanks

Mohit

Friday, February 19, 2016 2:25 PM
  • Guess I need to deploy this feature. Don't get it. Does it need to convert it???

Ahh OK - may have a custom action.

Friday, February 19, 2016 4:42 PM
  • Hi John

From my experience, SP designer checks for site schema thoroughly including features, list etc. If something is missing, it fails with some generic message. Most of the time error message is pretty clear in ULS logs. So I will advise you to deploy this feature, if it is not there.

Thanks

Mohit

Friday, February 19, 2016 5:16 PM