Looking for a template of project folder structure RRS feed

• Question

• User-898984231 posted

Dear all,

When managing a software project, I'd like to know what the list of folders should be in the project.

Do you know any template of project folder structure?

please tell me,

Thank you very much.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 3:43 AM

Answers

• User-794356815 posted
    You can go through this.. http://www.aspnetpro.com/newsletterarticle/2007/07/asp200707jk_l/asp200707jk_l.asp for understanding how these default folders work. Hope that helps Pooran
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 8:03 AM

All replies

• User-794356815 posted
    Hi hapn2 By default, ASP.Net project gives these folders Bin App_Code App_Themes App_Data App_GlobalResources App_LocalResources App_WebReferences App_Browsers Most of the actions happen by default using these folders. For example, if you add a webservice, the asmx file is created where you want but, if you choose the code behind file to be separate, it would be automatically created under app_code I would recommend you stick to this folder structure. If you would like to organize your cs files, create respective folders under App_code like \App_Code\admin \App_Code\user You can move all your webcontrols under a new folder and categorize using above said order Hope that helps Pooran
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 8:02 AM
  • User-794356815 posted
    You can go through this.. http://www.aspnetpro.com/newsletterarticle/2007/07/asp200707jk_l/asp200707jk_l.asp for understanding how these default folders work. Hope that helps Pooran
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 8:03 AM
  • User-898984231 posted

Thank Pooran, your link is very helpfull

But this is folder structure for source code only. I want to have a folder structure for all the project resources: customer supplied documents, meeting minutes, reports, milestone, etc...

If you have some structures for it, please tell me.

Thank you.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 8:59 AM
  • User-794356815 posted
    Hi hnpn2, I was hoping you would ask. I think it will be for project management application. So, here is how I would attack it.
    artifacts/      
    artifacts/<projectid>     
    artifacts/<projectid>/<artifacttype>    
    artifacts/<projectid>/<artifacttype>/<artifactid>.<extensiontype>    

By using this method, you will be restricting the artifact access via application. And it will be easier for generation of url as you will have all ids at your disposal to get it. You might as well have a db table for storing the documents. I would discourage that, if in case you might have to switch to other database or database failure. but I would recommend using a table for extension type. You can use http://www.file-extensions.org/ for data. Hope that helps Pooran
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:32 AM
  • User-794356815 posted
    Hi hnpn2, I was hoping you would ask. I think it will be for project management application. So, here is how I would attack it.
    artifacts/      
    artifacts/projectid     
    artifacts/projectid/artifacttype    
    artifacts/projectid/<artifacttype/artifactid.extensiontypeid    

By using this method, you will be restricting the artifact access via application. And it will be easier for generation of url as you will have all ids at your disposal to get it. You might as well have a db table for storing the documents. I would discourage that, if in case you might have to switch to other database or database failure. but I would recommend using a table for extension type. You can use http://www.file-extensions.org/ for data. Hope that helps Pooran
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:33 AM
  • User-794356815 posted
    This application is stripping off some tags. read the last one as artifacts/projectid/artifacttype/artifactid.extensiontypeid
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:43 AM