Increase allotted timeout value RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am getting the following error when i am trying to Save() about 4000 records.(I am changing the isSelected property to True to these records and then trying to Save() )

The HTTP request to http://localhost:59770/Web/LightSwitchApplication-Implementation-ApplicationDataDomainService.svc/binary/SubmitChanges' has exceeded the alloted timeout time.The allotted time to this operation may have been portion of a longer timeout.

Please help how can i increase the timeout value..

thank you

Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• This isn't really an answer to your question, but could you break the set of changes into smaller batches an submit them individually instead (maybe batches of 250 or 500)? Adding/editing 4000 records at once seems to me to be a very, very large set. I almost assume that it's some automated task that is performing this instead of adding/editing records manually.
    Justin Anderson, LightSwitch Development Team
    • Proposed as answer by JaimeH Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:55 PM
    Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:51 PM
  • @Justin: 

Why would LS timeout when there is an active save in process for the Screen's DataWorkSpace?

It isn't that the database is being non-responsive.  The LS app is actively moving data between the client and the server in updating an existing change set within the DWS, yes?

BTW:  I do agree with you that updating 4000 record with a client technology does not seem to be a normal design requirement.

@Mike:

Could you explain your scenario so that we understand why it is a requirement to update/insert/delete 4000 records?

There are ways that we can use LS to update large amounts of data programmatically on the server side that will update much faster because there is no round trip between the client and the server aside from initial parameters that may be input by the user.

Friday, August 5, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Hi,

I am just editing the boolean property {isSelected} of these 4000 records after i select all the records using a SelectALL button and then manually deselect some of it.(unfortunately LS doesn't support from the box these functions for controlling the grid records easier).

After that i am working with the selected records at the server side because i have functions that need to use  HttpWebRequest and  HttpWebResponse of System.NET.

How else can we work with all these selected records at the server side?
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:32 AM
  • I opened a related topic which i think will be the solution of the above problem.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/lightswitch/thread/a43bf6f6-e4ad-4de7-8d67-d52832269cce

Friday, August 5, 2011 11:16 AM