the best design for human resources managment project RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

i have this human resources project i have to do... the company has 4000 - 5000 employees..  the problem is i really do not know where to start.. and the best way to design it...

i am totally confused.. should i use WS, or Remoting,, the project is internal, the DB will be hosted in a server within the same building the the clients will be using LAN to connect to the server, i guess remoting is great in this scenario although i have never done remoting before... but the problem here is i will have to access the BL from the web for some inquiries... so the remoting is not great :(.. thats why i am confused..

now my question is...  should i use WS in this case..  and if so.. i just need a simple scenario in the security issue.. HOW do i authenticate the clients and grant access for them... do i use tokens?? for example i make a web method that verifies the ID and PWD and return a token which i will pass to all other methods ?? i am totally confused and new to this type of applications...

any way,, please help me by at lease naming technologies or mechanisms to help me understanding the best way to achieve this project.....

thanks alot in advance.

Halabi

Saturday, February 25, 2006 1:46 PM

Answers

• Well You got lots of choices.

I am hoping that you want to build a scalable solution, so in case if the number of employees increases or would like to add more functionality in terms of overhead it should work well.

If you haven't gone through patterns & practices, I would suggest you do because you will get lot of answers to common questions like authentication mechanisms, how to go about .NET remoting and when etc.. When to go for Web services etc.. Here is the link you could goto and skim through some of the topics and I am sure you will get lots of information.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/

Thanks,

Tap
    (MCSD for Microsoft.NET)

Sunday, February 26, 2006 1:17 AM

All replies

• Well You got lots of choices.

I am hoping that you want to build a scalable solution, so in case if the number of employees increases or would like to add more functionality in terms of overhead it should work well.

If you haven't gone through patterns & practices, I would suggest you do because you will get lot of answers to common questions like authentication mechanisms, how to go about .NET remoting and when etc.. When to go for Web services etc.. Here is the link you could goto and skim through some of the topics and I am sure you will get lots of information.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/practices/

Thanks,

Tap
    (MCSD for Microsoft.NET)

Sunday, February 26, 2006 1:17 AM
  • Just a quick note to add on ... for remoting.

I am at this point recommending noone to go down the remoting path if they will be doing substantial work. Why? because there is no clear migration path from remoting to WCF (Indigo), there is a very clear migration path from web services.

On a side note, alot of the questions here are quite dependent upon your problem domain. Nearly everything listed is a series of trade offs, the tough part is matching the pros and cons to come up with optimal system for your current (and future) requirements.

Cheers,

Greg

Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:43 PM