none
Open project VS2013 for office RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows 10, Visual Studio 2013 Professional, and Office 2013 Professional.

Cannot start new project for workbook application (C#) and getting message:

Cannot open the workbook in the designer, because Visual Studio cannot find object for Microsoft Office Excel.

To fix the problem, repair your installation of Office.

I have tried few times to reinstall both Office and VS without success.

When I am trying to use MS help I am directed to paid support, what I think is unfair.

Is any fix for this problem available?

Thanks

Thursday, July 13, 2017 6:54 PM

Answers

• Hello Andrew,

15.0.4945.1001 is the latest versoin. I get the following error when creating Excel Templates projects in Office2013 64bit/VS2015

Do you get the same error? If you get the same error, the issue does exist in some versions of Office 2013/2016. Please visit https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4014433/project-cannot-be-created-or-excel-designer-cannot-be-activated-error-

Please go to the following location to check the version of VBE7.DLL

For Office 2013 or 2016 MSI installations:

• For 64-bit Office installations: %Program Files%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL
    • For 32-bit Office installations on 64-bit OS: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL
    • For 32-bit Office installations on 32-bit OS: %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL

Office 2013 Click-To-Run installations:

• For  64-bit Office installations: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office 15\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL
    • For 32-bit Office installations on 64-bit OS: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office 15\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX86\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL
    • For 32-bit Office installations on 32-bit OS: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office 15\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX86\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL

In my test computer with Office 2013 15.0.4945.1001, the version is 7.01.1056

I replace it with a higher version 7.01.1065 which from a later Office version (you could download it from https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkcxDWH1nFmJpTGK9Ux19aHyTK0s)

Unfortuantely, the issue persists. It seems that the KB is not suitable for recent update.

To work around, we could revert to an earlier version. Please visit How to revert to an earlier version of Office 2013 or Office 2016 Click-to-Run If you are MSI installation, you may consider to uninstall some updates.

You could revert to an earlier version and check if you could create the project successfully. If not, please check the version of VBE7.DLL. If it is 7.01.1056. try to replace it with 7.01.1065.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Fiut11 Monday, July 24, 2017 9:20 PM
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 2:57 AM

All replies

• Hello,

What kind of project do you create?

After repairing the Office, do you still get the same error? What is your Office build number?

I would suggest you try to install VSTO Runtime Redistributable package.

Besides, you could visit the similar thread:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/0133da45-f3a1-47f6-a811-dceecca2a047/cannot-create-workbook-excel-2013-project-in-visual-studio-2012?forum=vsto

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 14, 2017 3:21 AM
  • I am creating new project as follows:

Templates / Visual C# / Office/SharePoint / Office Adds-in / Excel2013 workbook

After getting message and clicking OK on status bar I am getting message project creation failed.

I am not sure what build number is of my Office. There are many numbers like for Excel Version: 15.0.4937.1000

It looks that I have similar problem like person in the link.

I have tried almost all the suggested methods. Probably we have to reinstall OS and all the  applications. I If it not works I can use paid support or give up.

Note that all the software is legal and fully updated.

Thanks,

Andrew

Friday, July 14, 2017 1:37 PM
  • Hello Andrew,

15.0.4945.1001 is the latest versoin. I get the following error when creating Excel Templates projects in Office2013 64bit/VS2015

Do you get the same error? If you get the same error, the issue does exist in some versions of Office 2013/2016. Please visit https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4014433/project-cannot-be-created-or-excel-designer-cannot-be-activated-error-

Please go to the following location to check the version of VBE7.DLL

For Office 2013 or 2016 MSI installations:

• For 64-bit Office installations: %Program Files%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL
    • For 32-bit Office installations on 64-bit OS: %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL
    • For 32-bit Office installations on 32-bit OS: %ProgramFiles%\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL

Office 2013 Click-To-Run installations:

• For  64-bit Office installations: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office 15\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX64\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL
    • For 32-bit Office installations on 64-bit OS: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office 15\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX86\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL
    • For 32-bit Office installations on 32-bit OS: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Office 15\root\vfs\ProgramFilesCommonX86\Microsoft Shared\VBA\VBA7.1\VBE7.DLL

In my test computer with Office 2013 15.0.4945.1001, the version is 7.01.1056

I replace it with a higher version 7.01.1065 which from a later Office version (you could download it from https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkcxDWH1nFmJpTGK9Ux19aHyTK0s)

Unfortuantely, the issue persists. It seems that the KB is not suitable for recent update.

To work around, we could revert to an earlier version. Please visit How to revert to an earlier version of Office 2013 or Office 2016 Click-to-Run If you are MSI installation, you may consider to uninstall some updates.

You could revert to an earlier version and check if you could create the project successfully. If not, please check the version of VBE7.DLL. If it is 7.01.1056. try to replace it with 7.01.1065.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Fiut11 Monday, July 24, 2017 9:20 PM
    Tuesday, July 18, 2017 2:57 AM