Saving and accessing SQL databases in Azure? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

A friend of mine has 3 small SQL databases on her Azure account that she asked me to download for her. I said no problem…thinking she had a VM running with SQL Server and I could just RDC in and grab everything…no such luck.

I've done an export but have no idea how to download the .bacpac file. 

I've logged in through the management portal - but there's no options in there to export/download anything.

Can someone tell me the best - easiest - way to save these databases? Is there an easy way to download them? If I configure a VM in her account can access them that way? Is there a way I can transfer them over to my account?

I don't know all that much about Blob storage and container management - I've seen a few instructions and they seem very complex to me just to download a .bacpac file so I'm assuming I'm missing something.

Any help or ideas would be great!

Thank you...

Rob

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:31 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Sorry for delay.

Based on your description, it seems that you had export SQL Database to a BACPAC file which stored in the Storage Account. And then you want to import the SQL Database into an on-premise SQL Server which host on Windows Azure VM.

If I understand correcting, it is not support to download the  BACPAC file from the Storage Account. But you can connect to the SQL Database with SQL Server Management Studio(SSMS) from local server and  export the database to a BACPAC file, transfer the BACPAC file to your local server, and then import the BACPAC file to your on-premise SQL Server.

Reference:How to: Import and Export a Database (Windows Azure SQL Database)

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:28 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:52 AM

All replies

• Hello,

A friend of mine has 3 small SQL databases on her Azure account that she asked me to download for her. I said no problem…thinking she had a VM running with SQL Server and I could just RDC in and grab everything…no such luck.

I've done an export but have no idea how to download the .bacpac file. 

I've logged in through the management portal - but there's no options in there to export/download anything.

Can someone tell me the best - easiest - way to save these databases? Is there an easy way to download them? If I configure a VM in her account can access them that way? Is there a way I can transfer them over to my account?

I don't know all that much about Blob storage and container management - I've seen a few instructions and they seem very complex to me just to download a .bacpac file so I'm assuming I'm missing something.

Any help or ideas would be great!

Thank you...

Rob

Tuesday, February 4, 2014 10:33 PM
  • Hello,

Sorry for delay.

Based on your description, it seems that you had export SQL Database to a BACPAC file which stored in the Storage Account. And then you want to import the SQL Database into an on-premise SQL Server which host on Windows Azure VM.

If I understand correcting, it is not support to download the  BACPAC file from the Storage Account. But you can connect to the SQL Database with SQL Server Management Studio(SSMS) from local server and  export the database to a BACPAC file, transfer the BACPAC file to your local server, and then import the BACPAC file to your on-premise SQL Server.

Reference:How to: Import and Export a Database (Windows Azure SQL Database)

Regards,
    Fanny Liu

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here.

Fanny Liu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Fanny Liu Thursday, February 20, 2014 2:28 AM
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 2:52 AM