SQL Server Cluster Migration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I have been tasked with migrating a stand alone SQL 2008 server into a 2 node cluster. I am aware that I will need an identical server and shared storage but I am not 100% sure how to do this? Can anyone suggest how I add a live SQL server into a cluster?

Thanks

Geraint

Monday, February 18, 2013 12:34 PM

Answers

• Hello,

You won’t be able to make that SQL Server instance part of a cluster. You need to perform a a side-by-side migration.

First create a Windows failover cluster, install a SQL Server instance on that windows cluster with shared storage among all nodes, then transfer databases, logins, jobs, etc.

Some SQL Server features are not cluster-aware like Reporting Services.

Hope this helps

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:50 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 1:13 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

I have been tasked with migrating a stand alone SQL 2008 server into a 2 node cluster. I am aware that I will need an identical server and shared storage but I am not 100% sure how to do this? Can anyone suggest how I add a live SQL server into a cluster?

From what I have read its an awful looking procedure, and I might be better of if I can creating a new cluster and moving the DBs across. 

Thanks

Geraint

Monday, February 18, 2013 12:58 PM
  • Hello,

You won’t be able to make that SQL Server instance part of a cluster. You need to perform a a side-by-side migration.

First create a Windows failover cluster, install a SQL Server instance on that windows cluster with shared storage among all nodes, then transfer databases, logins, jobs, etc.

Some SQL Server features are not cluster-aware like Reporting Services.

Hope this helps

Regards,
    Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

• Marked as answer by Maggie Luo Tuesday, February 26, 2013 9:50 AM
    Monday, February 18, 2013 1:13 PM