none
suggestion/clarity on e-mail feature... imp RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello All...

Need clarity / suggestion on the below:

An application A has a need to send E-mail notifications which are triggered by various events that happen in a WorkFlow... which means e-mail communication plays a significant role in our app and is part and parcel of our app.

Now, i believe that WSS has an e-mail component available and that makes it quiet simple to implement it there. But what i need is whether there is anything available in .NET 3.0 or 3.5 which makes it equally simple..??

Pls let me know.. it helps...

thanks,

r m

Thursday, December 11, 2008 9:42 PM

Answers

• What is the functionality of your application.  Per your initial question, yes WSS can do workflow, email, etc.,  If I were to weigh in on the features of WSS to give you a perspective,
    Portal Framework - 70%
    Workflow - 10%
    Misc - 19%
    Email - 1%

Hope you get the point now.  You would use WSS if your application is a intranet/content portal.  If it is a regulat asp.net application that needs heavy lifting workflow and some email, then you are better of using asp.net MVC (although support for rich UI elements for MVC *still* coming).  Remember, workflow used by WSS is built using Windows Workflow foundation.  So you get raw power of Workflow by building ground up asp.net application rather than workflow.  I would use WSS if my application is a portal application.  WSS itself is a big asp.net application with lots of callable modules, etc.,  If your application does not call for portal requirements, I would not use WSS.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:36 AM

All replies

• I believe you want to send email from a .NET code.

MailMessage class in System.net.mail can solve this quiet easily...   I have used it right from .NET 1.1 framework onwards and those apps are still working fine...  Look at a sample implementation at this link...

Friday, December 12, 2008 3:36 AM
  •  

I heard that one of the advantages of WSS over .NET is E-MAIL feature..!!  I am not sure how true is it or why excatly it is the case...!!!

Another advantage was quoted as Security..!!

Can someone throw some light on this... this is really imp...

thanks,

r m

Friday, December 12, 2008 3:00 PM
  • WSS - Windows Sharepoint Services is basically a portal framework.  If your application already runs on WSS and you need email functionality go ahead and use WSS for email.  Because it comes with a whole set of email suites as mentioned in this link, that you could use.  On the other hand if you want to use WSS just for the email feature, I would not recommend doing that.  You are certainly using a wrong tool.  I would go with .NET poco (plain old c# object).
    Friday, December 12, 2008 6:56 PM
  •  

We are yet to start our app build...

we are just listing down what are the advantages would wss offer us... and one of the advantages was mentioned as E-MAIL feature..!!    This is y i had to ask this question.

any thoughts...

thanks,

r m

Friday, December 12, 2008 8:07 PM
  • I completely agree with Gaja.

You would use WSS for portal features and not for the sole purpose of emailing. The forums already has discussions over when to use WSS.

Using WSS to implement emailing feature is a wrong approach. However, using WSS for portal features and also for emailing might be very useful. Email is an addon service that WSS provides, but not a core service.

Hope this helps

--Pavan

Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:32 AM
  • What is the functionality of your application.  Per your initial question, yes WSS can do workflow, email, etc.,  If I were to weigh in on the features of WSS to give you a perspective,
    Portal Framework - 70%
    Workflow - 10%
    Misc - 19%
    Email - 1%

Hope you get the point now.  You would use WSS if your application is a intranet/content portal.  If it is a regulat asp.net application that needs heavy lifting workflow and some email, then you are better of using asp.net MVC (although support for rich UI elements for MVC *still* coming).  Remember, workflow used by WSS is built using Windows Workflow foundation.  So you get raw power of Workflow by building ground up asp.net application rather than workflow.  I would use WSS if my application is a portal application.  WSS itself is a big asp.net application with lots of callable modules, etc.,  If your application does not call for portal requirements, I would not use WSS.
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 4:36 AM