none
SQL Express 2008 error when trying to unistall/repair/install RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to unistall it once then something weird happen and i had do system restore since then any time i try to repair uninstall or re-install i get a the error

TITLE: SQL Server Setup failure.
    ------------------------------

SQL Server Setup has encountered the following error:

The given key was not present in the dictionary..

BUTTONS:

OK

any ideas on how to fix?
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:11 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

I found this link

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?siteid=1&PostID=528044&SiteID=1

but i am not sure that it will be useful for you

I will try to search again

Have a nice day

PS : in your error log, have you more information about the faulty key ?

Sunday, November 23, 2008 9:42 AM
  • where would i find the error log
    Sunday, November 23, 2008 6:51 PM
  • The setup log is in:

Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap

Jens K. Suessmeyer

Sunday, November 23, 2008 7:49 PM
  • here is the summary file

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  Failed: see details below
      Exit code (Decimal):           -71883602
      Exit facility code:            951
      Exit error code:               9390
      Exit message:                  The given key was not present in the dictionary.
      Start time:                    2008-11-22 23:08:09
      End time:                      2008-11-22 23:11:05
      Requested action:              RunRules
      Log with failure:              C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081122_230808\Detail_GlobalRules.txt
      Exception help link:           http%3a%2f%2fgo.microsoft.com%2ffwlink%3fLinkId%3d20476%26ProdName%3dMicrosoft%2bSQL%2bServer%26EvtSrc%3dsetup.rll%26EvtID%3d50000%26ProdVer%3d10.0.1600.22%26EvtType%3d0xA0A72FEE%400xFBB724AE

Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  PC
      Machine processor count:       4
      OS version:                    Windows Vista
      OS service pack:               Service Pack 1
      OS region:                     United States
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x64
      Process architecture:          64 Bit
      OS clustered:                  No

Product features discovered:
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered
      Sql Server 2008      SQLEXPRESS           MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS             Database Engine Services                 1033                 Express Edition      10.0.1600.22    No       
      Sql Server 2008                                                          Management Tools - Basic                 1033                 Express Edition      10.0.1600.22    No       

Package properties:
      Description:                   SQL Server Database Services 2008
      SQLProductFamilyCode:          {628F8F38-600E-493D-9946-F4178F20A8A9}
      ProductName:                   SQL2008
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       10
      SPLevel:                       0
      Installation location:         c:\a87e00cf8e2e70aefb\x64\setup\
      Installation edition:          EXPRESS_ADVANCED

User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        RunRules
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:            
      FEATURES:                     
      HELP:                          False
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              False
      INSTANCENAME:                  <empty>
      MEDIASOURCE:                   c:\a87e00cf8e2e70aefb\
      QUIET:                         False
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   False
      RULES:                         GlobalRules
      X86:                           False

Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20081122_230808\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

There are no scenario-specific rules.

Rules report file:               The rule result report file is not available.

Exception summary:
    The following is an exception stack listing the exceptions in outermost to innermost order
    Inner exceptions are being indented

Exception type: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException
            The given key was not present in the dictionary.
        Data:
          DisableWatson = true
        Stack:
            at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
            at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.RegistrationService.GetRegistrationInfo[T](String moniker)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.UserInterfaceFactoryService.Create(String moniker)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.UserInterfaceService.Start(String moniker)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.StartAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.InvokeAction(WorkflowObject metabase, TextWriter statusStream)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.PendingActions.InvokeActions(WorkflowObject metaDb, TextWriter loggingStream)

Sunday, November 23, 2008 8:46 PM
  • never mind i just formatted computer that fixed the issue
    Tuesday, November 25, 2008 1:52 AM
  • go to c:\program files\sqlserver

delete the file having name :sql_engine_core_inst_keyfile.dll

• Proposed as answer by callashwini Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, September 28, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Wrong agin. No one knows this answer. I will vote for the reformat after spending 1 week on failure to repair or uninstall SQL 2008 Express from Windows 7

Prove me wrong

Friday, July 8, 2011 2:04 AM
  • Reformatting does not work either.  I formatted another drive that was taking up space for a dual boot to Vista.  When I tried to install Windows 7 Pro to it to dual boot Windows 7, I get a message "This vewsion of Windows cannot be installed.  Your previous version of Windows has been restore."  It tells me to search for the Upgrade Advisor. 

Please note I already have Windows 7 64 bit installed on this computer.  I am not upgrading.  I have full install disk. I formatted Vista drive.  The upgrade advisor says everything is honky-dory, except it doesn't have drivers for my SCSI card, which is normal.  Keep in mind folks that I already have Windows 7 64 bit installed on this computer, and I am running the Upgrade Advistor from Windows 7 (lol). I am just trying to add a dual boot to a new Windows 7 to get a fresh start to work around "The given key was not present in the dictionary" problem.

I have now watched it go through the install 3 times now, in three variations, overlay Vista, install from Windows 7, boot from CD.  It always the same.  It gets to the final step, Completing Install, and after a few minutes on that task it just dies.

Microsoft: You need to fix both these anomalies (nice word for bug).  

Sunday, July 10, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Hi Jens, i have a similar problem with installing sql server r2 express. before the installation process, i uninstalled all previously installed sql -related programs from control panel. and here's my setup log:

Overall summary:
      Final result:                  Failed: see details below
      Exit code (Decimal):           -71883602
      Exit facility code:            951
      Exit error code:               9390
      Exit message:                  The given key was not present in the dictionary.
      Start time:                    2012-11-10 10:27:59
      End time:                      2012-11-10 10:28:22
      Requested action:              RunRules
      Log with failure:              C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20121110_102758\Detail.txt
      Exception help link:           http%3a%2f%2fgo.microsoft.com%2ffwlink%3fLinkId%3d20476%26ProdName%3dMicrosoft%2bSQL%2bServer%26EvtSrc%3dsetup.rll%26EvtID%3d50000%26ProdVer%3d10.50.2500.0%26EvtType%3d0xA0A72FEE%400xD05BC945

Machine Properties:
      Machine name:                  CHIBUZO-VAIO
      Machine processor count:       2
      OS version:                    Windows 7
      OS service pack:               
      OS region:                     United States
      OS language:                   English (United States)
      OS architecture:               x64
      Process architecture:          64 Bit
      OS clustered:                  No

Product features discovered:
      Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered
      Sql Server 2008      SQLEXPRESS           MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS             Database Engine Services                 1033                 Express Edition      10.1.2531.0     No        
      Sql Server 2008      SQLEXPRESS           MSSQL10.SQLEXPRESS             SQL Server Replication                   1033                 Express Edition      10.1.2531.0     No        

Package properties:
      Description:                   SQL Server Database Services 2008 R2
      ProductName:                   SQL Server 2008 R2
      Type:                          RTM
      Version:                       10
      SPLevel:                       1
      Installation location:         c:\b554bdb7f9b7dfa116ff8fdbc02c\x64\setup\
      Installation edition:          EXPRESS_ADVANCED

User Input Settings:
      ACTION:                        RunRules
      CONFIGURATIONFILE:             
      ENU:                           True
      FARMACCOUNT:                   <empty>
      FARMADMINPORT:                 0
      FARMPASSWORD:                  *****
      FEATURES:                      
      HELP:                          False
      INDICATEPROGRESS:              False
      INSTANCENAME:                  <empty>
      PASSPHRASE:                    *****
      QUIET:                         False
      QUIETSIMPLE:                   False
      RULES:                         GLOBALRULES,SqlUnsupportedProductBlocker,PerfMonCounterNotCorruptedCheck,Bids2008InstalledCheck,BlockInstallSxS,AclPermissionsFacet,FacetDomainControllerCheck,SSMS_IsInternetConnected,FacetWOW64PlatformCheck,FacetPowerShellCheck
      UIMODE:                        AutoAdvance
      X86:                           False

Configuration file:            C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20121110_102758\ConfigurationFile.ini

Detailed results:

Rules with failures:

Global rules:

There are no scenario-specific rules.

Rules report file:               The rule result report file is not available.

Exception summary:
    The following is an exception stack listing the exceptions in outermost to innermost order
    Inner exceptions are being indented

Exception type: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException
            The given key was not present in the dictionary.
        Data:
          DisableWatson = true
        Stack:
            at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowKeyNotFoundException()
            at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.RegistrationService.GetRegistrationInfo[T](String moniker)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.UserInterfaceFactoryService.Create(String moniker)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.UserInterfaceService.Start(String moniker)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.UIExtension.StartAction.ExecuteAction(String actionId)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Chainer.Infrastructure.Action.Execute(String actionId, TextWriter errorStream)
            at Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionInvocation.ExecuteActionHelper(TextWriter statusStream, ISequencedAction actionToRun)

I really need a solution ASAP.

thanks

buzor

Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:53 PM
  • any ideas on how to fix?
    Monday, February 11, 2019 9:38 AM
  • Yes - by not replying to a thread that is 11 years old. Start your own thread and provide all of the information that has been requested in this thread. Provide any relevant information that was not requested but that you think important. Post the version, edition, and sp level of your sql server instance (and not SSMS). Post the version, edtion, and sp level of the OS. And provide context - which is what OP did not provide. 
    Monday, February 11, 2019 12:41 PM