none
Preferred install folder for custom Access applications?

Question

• When our organization moved to Windows 7, I changed the install folder for a large custom Microsoft Access application that is installed on 70 desktops. On XP and prior I had used \Program Files\MCardDB for the application and \Program Files\Jackman for ActiveX components. The Win7 strategy has been to use \ProgramData\IFC\ALIS and \ProgramData\IFC\Common for components.

We are upgrading to Access 2013 and Windows 10 and this offers an opportunity to reconsider where to put these files. Do you have any personal preferences for where to locate custom Microsoft Access applications and any files that are referenced in the code?

Friday, January 11, 2019 8:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have heard others recommend to use the AppData folder.

Friday, January 11, 2019 8:39 PM
  • I haven't used Windows 10 yet, but I tend to create a folder on the C drive. I see that DBGuy suggested the AppData folder. That is a one-person folder so the application file would only be available for one person. If that works for you then I'd say give it a try for testing purposes.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, January 11, 2019 9:57 PM
  • Do you have any personal preferences for where to locate custom Microsoft Access applications and any files that are referenced in the code?

Hi P.,

In my development environment I use one map \DbApp to hold all my over 100 application databases. In the map there are a few submaps with additional functionality.

In the production mode the user can choose his own top-map. Submaps have then the same structure as in my development environment. Placing the top map in any other map (or on an external device) is no problem while all is automatically adjusted. I prefer to use very short pathes to the top-map, as long names will negatively influence performance.

I don't use any ActiveX components because all needed functionality is supplied in the applications itself.

Changing of computer is no problem: just copy \DbApp (or for the end-user the top-map) to the new computer, and all is ready for continuation of the work.

Imb.

Friday, January 11, 2019 10:28 PM
  • We sometimes have more than one person use a desktop so by locating the app in AppData it would end up being installed several times which is not ideal.

What if any permission issues have folks experienced using ProgramData?

• Edited by P. Jackman Friday, January 11, 2019 10:30 PM
    Friday, January 11, 2019 10:29 PM
  • I second AppData.  An Access database should be an individual user setup, thus appdata is ideal.  Each user should have a shortcut to install a copy of the master FE in the AppData folder and then launch it.  Been doing this for years, even in multinational environments with hundreds of users, and it works flawlessly.

Daniel Pineault, 2010-2018 Microsoft MVP
    Professional Support: http://www.cardaconsultants.com
    MS Access Tips and Code Samples: http://www.devhut.net

Saturday, January 12, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Well this is being informative. I would never have thought of using AppData for the application. That only answers part of the question though, I think. The app also has references to maybe 10 different COM components, some of which connect to COM+ proxies, others such as IP*Works! ActiveX controls are just installed and registered on the machine. I'd be surprised if AppData advocates would recommend putting the components there are well. So where would you have these be installed then?
    Saturday, January 12, 2019 5:58 AM