none
Problem with creating C++ projects in Visual Studio 2015 - No files created

Question

• Hello, I recently installed Visual Studio 2015 while looking to learn C++ to make games, and I am having a rather significant problem when I try to make a new C++ application project in VS.

When I installed VS2015, I made sure to choose the C++ options as I was instructed by the tutorial that I am using, however, the problem begins when I make the project.

Here are the steps I go through when creating a project, as per the tutorial instructions.

> File > New Project > Visual C++ > Win32 > Win32 Console Application

> In the Win32 Application Wizard, Console Application is CHECKED, 'Empty Project' is UNCHECKED, Precompiled Header is CHECKED, SDL is CHECKED.

> I click next, and finish.

(What is SUPPOSED to happen here with the given settings is that VS creates a precompiled header file called stdafx.h and creates 'ProjectName.cpp' in the text editor.)

What happens to me is as follows:

> After pressing 'Finish' in the Application Wizard, an EMPTY project is created for some reason despite 'Empty Project' being unchecked, and NO precompiled header files are created.

> Almost immediately, the create new project dialog pops back up and prompts me to create another project, even though I just created one. 

I have been googling this problem for 3 days now, and it appears that I am the only human on the face of the earth that has ever had this problem, so I am turning to you for help.

Creating a project at my school with their VS works as intended using the exact same settings.

I have already reinstalled VS2015 4 times, completely deleting all files after doing so, and I have all of the requisite programs and Windows Updates installed to use the software. 

What do I do?

EDIT: I have been reading a fair bit on here... Could this problem be occurring because I don't have the abomination that is IE11 installed?

EDIT 2: Installed The newest IE, and the problem persists.

• Edited by Crymtastic Monday, April 04, 2016 6:11 PM
    Monday, April 04, 2016 1:17 PM

Answers

• Hi Crymtastic,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please tell me the what's the version of your VS2015?

I just follow the steps you offered and test it in my side. And it works well.

Please restore the settings in the VS then try it again(Tools->Import and Export settings->Reset all settings).

Restore the C++ template of your VS2015 with the steps below:

1. Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE)

2. In the command prompt, navigate to the location of devenv.exe. This file is located in <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE.

3. Type "devenv /installvstemplates" and press Enter.

If above suggestions still no help. I think there might be something wrong with your Visual Studio 2015 installation. Since you have tried reinstalled the VS2015. I suggest you could install the VS2015 Community Update2 in the official site.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hi Crymtastic,

Thanks for your post.

Could you please tell me the what's the version of your VS2015?

I just follow the steps you offered and test it in my side. And it works well.

Please restore the settings in the VS then try it again(Tools->Import and Export settings->Reset all settings).

Restore the C++ template of your VS2015 with the steps below:

1. Delete the ItemTemplatesCache, ProjectTemplatesCache folder (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE)

2. In the command prompt, navigate to the location of devenv.exe. This file is located in <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE.

3. Type "devenv /installvstemplates" and press Enter.

If above suggestions still no help. I think there might be something wrong with your Visual Studio 2015 installation. Since you have tried reinstalled the VS2015. I suggest you could install the VS2015 Community Update2 in the official site.

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/download-visual-studio-vs.aspx

Best Regards,

Lake Xiao

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 3:06 AM
  • If the problem persists, then copy the successfully created project (folder) from another machine, and then see if it can be opened and compiled.

Tuesday, April 05, 2016 4:49 AM
  • I am having the exact same problem and the ISO I have installed VS2015 from, contains  Update 3 already. The generated C# projects  are fine but anything  C++  related generates no files and pops up again the project name dialog as described above.

• Edited by gdanielg Wednesday, August 03, 2016 9:48 AM
    Wednesday, August 03, 2016 9:47 AM
  • I think the problem is related to a certain installation configuration.

It looks like there is a problem wiht "CommonTools for Visual C++ 2015" component. On my System this is unchecked . I check the component , installation goes fine but afterwards it's still displayed as not checked.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016 11:50 AM