none
.NET Framework 4.0 installer "Fatal Error" with logs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After checking these forums to re-install .NET 4.0, I have cleaned my temp directory and turned off the AC then run both the doNetFX40_Full_Setup and doNetFX40_Full_x86_x64 installers and I still receive a Fatal Error message.

Does not appear to be a problem with my Windows installer

My collect.exe logs are here .

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Saturday, May 12, 2012 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hi ZP_man,

Sorry for my late track.

Actually, we do not recommand customer to use that clean up tool becasue it may delete some system files, it is by design.

From your description, you have installed VS11 with .NET 4.5 which remained some registry keys on your OS.

They prevent you from installing .NET 4 again.

My suggestion is:

First, do a backup to your registry.

Then try to follow "Jorge"'s solution to uninstall.

If you are not confident on this, please use the following tools:

1. Use msiinv to gather information about what is installed on a computer:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx  

You can refer to this page and try the steps listed there.

2. After using msiinv tool ,you can get a product key of the products. Then please refer to this page:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx  

(download the smartmsizap tool from here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=27e6a35d1a492af7&id=27E6A35D1A492AF7%21417   )

You will be able to uninstall all products by this tool.

Combined with the two tools, you will be able to uninstall .NET 4.5 component.

Then please try to install .NET 4 again.

Note: If error still exist, I may have to say you need to repair or reinstall your OS. After all, it is a hard job to find corrupt or missing files from your OS.

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Hi Barry,

Thanks for responding, didn't get to do the above, cause I ended up rebuilding my machine.  Maybe your post will help someone else.

ZP_man

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:00 PM

All replies

• Based on this:

"INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [A later version of Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is already installed.]
     MSI (C:\8ceb8d42ed818861e0d86c08dc\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20120512_185522130-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
     PerformOperation returned 1603 (translates to HRESULT = 0x80070643)"

I suggest you uninstall .NET Framework 4.0 Client Profile, then follow these steps:

Follow the steps exactly:

Before trying to install .NET Framework 4.0, execute this command from an ELEVATED Command Prompt provided by the .NET Framework Team:

"This issue is likely caused by a bad ACL on assembly\tmp folder. After installing updates, the ACL propagates to installed assembly folders in both 4.0 & legacy GAC.  If those updates were installed by WU or another user, the propagated ACL will prevent install of the same assembly by the current user.

A work around would be to reset the ACL on GAC dirs.

for /F %D in ('dir %WINDIR%\assembly %WINDIR%\Microsoft.NET\assembly /s /b /a:d') do takeown /F %D && icacls %D /reset /T"

After running that command, follow these steps:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

2. Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Thanks for your help.

I did the above. But may not have completely removed .net 4 ... can't tell.  

The .Net installer always seems to get a fatal error during the "Rollback" part.

Here are the new logs in vslogs2.cab

(Also, working from a different System Restore point than before, cause some things slowed down during the fixes I tried before.  Unfortunately, lost the Restore point from when .Net 4 was working.)

Much appreciated.

Sunday, May 13, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Same error message. "A later version...".

You may be able to get rid of .NET Framework 4.0 "leftovers" by using this tool:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

However, I should warn you that this tool is regarded as a "last resort", as there is a slight potential of colateral damage.

If you choose not to use it, or it fails to correct the issue, you may have to consider an OS reinstall.

Monday, May 14, 2012 2:24 PM
  • I was able to remove all found registry entries (including the Wow6432node for my 64 bit machine). The Cleaner says it worked;  however, there remains an option to remove .Net 4 in the cleaner UI,  

The .NET 4 Install is still fatal faulting.. Can you check the new collect log for me to see if anything changed.

Would like to avoid OS re-install, would try System Repair first.

Thanks

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:45 PM
  • Sorry. same ol' "A later version of Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile is already installed"

This atricle may be helpful in repairing your OS:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Monday, May 14, 2012 8:58 PM
  • Hi ZP man,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

I want to ask one question, have you installed VS11 beta on your OS before?

If so, please have a look at this thread,http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/netfxsetup/thread/a8ceb77b-f625-4259-94de-4ae5157ba98c

I found some solutions by our customer "Jorge" and "jetzen"

"Jorge"'s post

"Try searching "Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5 Client Profile Developer Preview" in the registry. Find the PackageCode value and copy it.

Then run msiexec /uninstall [productcode] (the productcode should have the following format: {75F0E3C2-A745-4FA3-6BBD-C25A6959811D})

if it works, that should solve the problem.

if it says "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed", then do a backup of the registry key (just in case) and delete the entire key (folder)."

"jetzen"'s post was a supplement to "Jorge"'s post.

If that is not the issue. You may need to repair your OS since we cannot find the root reason here.

If you have any updates,please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 3:00 AM
  • Yes ... I see. I suspected VS 11 Beta may be an issue.

I set a system restore point, and uninstalled VS 11 Beta.

Looking at the failed .Net 4 install log, it detects a newer version of "Client Profile" (maybe from VS 11 Beta) and failed while trying to roll it back for the install. I found the "Client Profile" Product Code {795AE7FA-334A-3348-A358-6F56377B8639} and version number 4.0.30319 identifed in the .NET 4 install log and searched in the registry, then deleated them.

The .NET Clean Up Tool says it's removed v4 but then the selection to delete remains even when its Log says it is not installed in the first place.  Somehow, the Clean Up Tool is being notified of .NET 4 and says it removed it, but still finds it.  And there is still a fatal error on the .NET 4 install.

I guess an "root cause" answer may be in the Clean Up log errors, so here is the log.  I searched the registries for product codes where it "exited with return code 1". They weren't there.

Looks like IIS Manger still had v4.0 selections availabe for the application pools for ASP NET V4.0 ... switched those to v2.0

When re-running the Cleanup Tool the log says it's still finding v4.0 and removing them.

Still getting fatal error on .NET 4 install, here's the latest collect log.

Please, let me know if you spot anything.

Thanks for jumping in Barry.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 5:42 AM
  • Hi ZP_man,

Sorry for my late track.

Actually, we do not recommand customer to use that clean up tool becasue it may delete some system files, it is by design.

From your description, you have installed VS11 with .NET 4.5 which remained some registry keys on your OS.

They prevent you from installing .NET 4 again.

My suggestion is:

First, do a backup to your registry.

Then try to follow "Jorge"'s solution to uninstall.

If you are not confident on this, please use the following tools:

1. Use msiinv to gather information about what is installed on a computer:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/using-msiinv-to-gather-information-about-what-is-installed-on-a-computer.aspx  

You can refer to this page and try the steps listed there.

2. After using msiinv tool ,you can get a product key of the products. Then please refer to this page:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/10/30/487096.aspx  

(download the smartmsizap tool from here:

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=27e6a35d1a492af7&id=27E6A35D1A492AF7%21417   )

You will be able to uninstall all products by this tool.

Combined with the two tools, you will be able to uninstall .NET 4.5 component.

Then please try to install .NET 4 again.

Note: If error still exist, I may have to say you need to repair or reinstall your OS. After all, it is a hard job to find corrupt or missing files from your OS.

If you have any updates, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:06 AM
  • Hi Barry,

Thanks for responding, didn't get to do the above, cause I ended up rebuilding my machine.  Maybe your post will help someone else.

ZP_man

Thursday, May 17, 2012 8:00 PM
  • Hi ZP_man,

Glad to hear you have fixed your issue.

Have a nice day.

Barry Wang [MSFT]

Friday, May 18, 2012 3:10 AM
  • Hi Barry,

Yes, my machine is running back to normal again; however, the whole process took about a week's long effort.  Microsoft can do better at avoiding these issue.  Folks seeking to repair Microsoft's .NET should not have to chase down root causes themselves or rebuild their system.   I am disappointed in this; however,  I'll really apprecaited the support on this forum. 

Sincerely,

ZP_man

Saturday, May 19, 2012 5:22 AM
  • Wow this really worked

Thanks barry

Sunday, May 20, 2012 6:28 AM