SQL server 2008 express and C# 2010 express connection problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I’ve read all the related articles, but didn’t find the solution.

So, I installed WEB Developer VS2010 Express and worked with it for a few weeks.

Then I installed VS2010 C# Express. And here I’ve found the difference between them – in C# to the contrary to Silverlight, the  were no option to connect to the SQL Express Server – only to the Compact 3.5 or to a Data Base file.

Is it possible to repair this problem by some settings or it requires of a new installation, and if yes, what is a sequence?

Thanks.

• Moved by Larcolais Gong Monday, July 11, 2011 3:03 PM (From:ADO.NET Entity Framework and LINQ to Entities)
    Saturday, July 2, 2011 10:48 PM

All replies

• Hi leozel;

VS 2010 C# Express should have no problem connecting to SQL 2008 Express. When you create a Connection do you run into a problem?

What steps are you taking in creating a connection to the SQL\EXPRESS server from VS 2010?

Fernando

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 3:32 AM
  • Hello Fernando,

To say a trough I did nothing special to care the connection problem.

Here is a history of the setup step by step:

Firstly was installed VS 2010 WEB Developer.

Then was installed SP1.

After one or two weeks was installed VS 2010 C#.

The last installation (of C#) required reinstall SP1 and I did it.

Thanks.

Sunday, July 3, 2011 5:13 AM
  • OK lets try it this way. Can you explain in more detail what you mean by this, "the were no option to connect to the SQL Express Server – only to the Compact 3.5 or to a Data Base file"?

Fernando

If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Mark as Helpful".
    Sunday, July 3, 2011 5:30 AM
  • Yes, of course.

This happens when I am trying to add Entity Model to the WPF project. There are only two options: new connection to the SQL Server Compact 3.5 Edition or directly to the Data Base file.

Thanks.

Sunday, July 3, 2011 5:36 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you for posting.

From your description, I made a test on my machine. Here's the result from my side.

VWD/VC#: MS SQL Server, MS SQL Server Compact 4.0, MS SQL Server Database file

VS2010 Ultimate: MS SQL Server, MS SQL Server Compact 3.5, MS SQL Server Database file

Could you please capture some screenshots in your reply?

Best Regards,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, July 4, 2011 7:28 AM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately it’s impossible here to attach a picture to the message, so from the VS WEB Developer 2010 it seems like this:

Add – New Item – ADO.NET Entity Model – Generate from Database – New Connection – Change – {Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft SQL Server Database file}.

And from VS C# 2010 the same seems in another way:

Add – New Item – ADO.NET Entity Model – Generate from Database – New Connection – Change – {Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5, Microsoft SQL Server Database file}.

Maybe you mean something else, so tell me please.

Thanks.

Monday, July 4, 2011 12:16 PM
  • Hello again,

I think you want to ask this question like this thread. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/188963/connecting-to-sql-server-with-visual-studio-express-editions Please check it.

If it's not helpful, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011 6:05 AM
  • Hello,

Sorry for delay,

I tried to solve the problem as described in the link above, unfortunately my VS WEB Developer 2010 Express does not open any project of the C# VS 2010 Express and on the contrary.

The only thing that I could get was to add the Entity Model.edmx from existing WEB Developer project to the C# project. But it doesn’t work – exception: “No Source Available”

Thanks.

Monday, July 11, 2011 6:37 AM
  • Hello leozel,

It looks that your question was related to the corrupted Visual Studio. I suggest you can ask Visual Studio Installation and Setup Forum. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/vssetup/threads I suggest you should re-install Visual Studio and try it again.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any concern.

Best Regards,

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]

Monday, July 11, 2011 3:02 PM