App Failing to Launch on iPhone 5 RRS feed

• Question

• User324764 posted

Developing a cross-platform pcl solution. The App works fine on iPhonesimulator running an iPhone 7 with iOS 10.3. With an iPhone 5 running the same iOS it fails to even launch to the point of the debugger pointing to the problem. This is causing me a headache as I've no idea where to look for the root of the issue.

Does anyone know of some common points of contention when running on an iPhone 5 vs iPhone 7? Or any solutions to allow me to pinpoint where exactly the App fails when launching?

Monday, June 26, 2017 5:18 PM

Answers

• User21936 posted

@NPC

Those are Simulator architectures. Check the supported architectures that are set for Device builds (select iPhone as the platform). To build for both 32 bit and 64 bit, build for ARM64 and armv7s.

But that may not be the ultimate issue here. I would watch the device logs when the app is launched. That is usually where you see the clearest error message when an app crashes.

Device console logs

Visual Studio: 1. Use the View->Other Windows->Device Log menu to launch the Device Log pane. 2. Choose the device in the Choose Device drop down list at the top of the pane.

Xamarin Studio: 1. Use the View->Pads->Device Log menu to launch the Device Log pane. 2. Choose the device in the Choose Device drop down list at the top of the pane.

XCode: 1. Open Xcode with your device attached to your Mac. 2. Click the Window->Devices menu to open the Devices window. 3. Select your device from the list on the left and then click the small up arrow button on the lower left of the main pane. This will open the live console logs for the device.

Simulator console logs

1. In the simulator menu, select Debug->Open System Log
    2. This will open the Console app with the Simulator system log open
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:29 AM

All replies

• User74 posted

iPhone 5 is 32bit, I bet you are building 64bit only.

Monday, June 26, 2017 7:19 PM
  • User324764 posted

The build option is set to i386 + x86_64, is this correct?

Monday, June 26, 2017 8:16 PM
  • User21936 posted

@NPC

Those are Simulator architectures. Check the supported architectures that are set for Device builds (select iPhone as the platform). To build for both 32 bit and 64 bit, build for ARM64 and armv7s.

But that may not be the ultimate issue here. I would watch the device logs when the app is launched. That is usually where you see the clearest error message when an app crashes.

Device console logs

Visual Studio: 1. Use the View->Other Windows->Device Log menu to launch the Device Log pane. 2. Choose the device in the Choose Device drop down list at the top of the pane.

Xamarin Studio: 1. Use the View->Pads->Device Log menu to launch the Device Log pane. 2. Choose the device in the Choose Device drop down list at the top of the pane.

XCode: 1. Open Xcode with your device attached to your Mac. 2. Click the Window->Devices menu to open the Devices window. 3. Select your device from the list on the left and then click the small up arrow button on the lower left of the main pane. This will open the live console logs for the device.

Simulator console logs

1. In the simulator menu, select Debug->Open System Log
    2. This will open the Console app with the Simulator system log open
    • Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, June 28, 2017 1:29 AM